Herpetofauna of a small valley in South Westphalia, 07-2021

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Herpetofauna of a small valley in South Westphalia, 07-2021

Postby Danny Siwek » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:43 pm

Thank you for the welcome!

First post and short personal introduction
I'm from South Westphalia, NRW, 28yo, with profession in the fields of pharmacy and biotechnology.
I would like to use this forum to collect suggestions for considerate herping and to further develop my knowledge, not least for current and future species conservation projects in which I am involved; that is, for example, reptile monitoring/surveys, in consultation with relevant authorities, and floristic mapping.
If there are any here: I am also happy to meet potential partners for field trips!

As a first contribution to this forum: the outcome of one weekend of July, without the need of hard searching for herps...

Highlight was a specimen of the grass snake, Natrix helvetica, from my hometown (57258 Freudenberg, Germany).
Date of observation: 2021-July-18. The habitat is situated in a narrow valley, which is shaded for a long time during the day and relatively cool. Shortly after the sunlight reached the edge of the forest, the animal could be photographed sunbathing in a light spot.
1.0.JPG
Natrix helvetica, adult

The biotope complex includes forest edges, meadows, bushes, woodlots as well as a pond and small stream.
The main food item for the snakes here is probably the grass or brown frog, Rana temporaria, as it seems to occur here in considerable numbers.

The total population of N. helvetica in this valley is the largest in the area that I know of. In favourable weather, grass snakes of all ages can be observed.
The third common "herp" in the valley is the slow worm, Anguis fragilis. All three species occur throughout the valley over a distance of about one kilometre.

N. helvetica - juvenile, in shady forest (2021-July-17)
07-17 c.JPG
Natrix helvetica

N. helvetica - juvenile, on the pond bank (2021-July-17)
07-17 d.JPG
Natrix helvetica

N. helvetica - juvenile, on mossy and rotten wood (2021-July-17)
07-17 a.JPG
Natrix helvetica

N. helvetica - juvenile? or subadult?, in shed (2021-July-17)
07-17 b.JPG
Natrix helvetica

Anguis fragilis - enjoys the sun in secret under the protection of the vegetation (2021-July-18)
07-18.jpeg
Anguis fragilis

Rana temporaria - juvenile (2021-July-18)
Rt 18.07..jpeg
Rana temporaria

Rana temporaria - juvenile (2021-July-18)
Rte 18.07..jpeg
Rana temporaria

Best regards to the Community!
Danny Siwek
Danny Siwek

Hometown: 57258 Freudenberg

Re: Herpetofauna of a small valley in South Westphalia, 07-2

Postby Andre Schmid » Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 pm

Hi and welcome :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Re: Herpetofauna of a small valley in South Westphalia, 07-2