Ursinii in Hungary

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Ursinii in Hungary

Postby Thomas Bader » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:38 pm

@Jeroen

We've been to the breeding station this June and Balint told me, that there was an older report (I am not sure, but maybe by Dely or another famous Hungarian herpetologist), who once found Ablepharus in a Kiskunsag forest. But Ablepharus is much easier in surroundigs of Budapest (hills west of Budapest) or (according to Mr. Hill) in the Balaton area on the vulcanic hills.
The motorway from central Hungary to the South (Villany) has been finished and now it is really easy and fast to get there. Beside caspius - Villany is absolutely lovely with its taverns and its rich cultural background (trilingual area). Every weekend is like a permanent happy hour - happy and drunk people everywhere (except herpetologists - of course).
To catch a caspius on the Villany hill is really difficult. I saw nine of them and couldn't manage to get one. Last year it was nearly the same - only one was caught by chance.
Tell me when you want to go there...
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Re: Ursinii in Hungary

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 am

Thanks! No concrete plans, but it'll happen.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to Central Europe