L. agilis activity

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

L. agilis activity

Postby Niklas Ban » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:13 pm

Hey folks,
I have a question do someone know at what temperature it is worthwhile to look after L. agilis ?
I know where their habitat is, but I've never been there. So I would like to know at what temperature it is worth it to go looking. :)
An answer would be nice. :)
Best Regards
Niklas
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Re: L. agilis activity

Postby Daniel Kane » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:59 pm

That is a difficult question to answer as there are several factors to take into account - such as air temperature, ground temperature, the effect of wind, if the sun is out or not... An example of this is the adders in Finland and other montane or northery areas - they are active from mid-April and can be seen moving over snow. Obviously the snow is cold yet in the sun it may be over 20*C, while in the shade it may be much cooler. Many factors/temperatures to think about.

I am not aware of any literature with temperature of Lacerta agilis emergence, or many reptile species. I have read somewhere that a ground temperature of 6*C is required for adders; I assume this to be similar for other reptile species living in similar areas.

I would suggest that when the daytime temperatures in your area are consistently spring-like with not-too cold nights and the sun is out with little wind it may be worthwhile going for a look. It will be nice to hear how you get on!

Best of luck Niklas
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:16 pm

Couldn`t tell you anything about what they need to come out.
I can only speak for my area`s in south Bavaria, they are one of the latest Herps that come.
I rarely see them before End of March, but in the most years the came out in the first weeks of April.
And if they are out, they are out. That means I found them out during rain, no sun and Temperatures around 10 Degrees in the End of April one year.
And the Adults disppear end of August. beginning of September doesn`t matter what Temperatures we have.
the hatchlings disappear middle of October, beginning of November.

Very different to the area of Michael Glass around Nurnberg, I think they are out year around there! ;)
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Niklas Ban » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:26 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I think it's best if I wait until the end of March, before I get a little look around in the habitat. :)
Niklas Ban

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:59 pm

Hi
According to Juszczyk W., Turko J. 1983. The influence of the air and soil temperature on daily activity of the Lacerta agilis (Reptilia, Squamata). Acta Biol. Cracoviensia. Temperature level of soil does not decide about leaving the burrow or hiding in a burrow, but principally a moment when soil temperature outside the burrow and soil temperature inside it aligns. That is why in spring daily activity lasts longer than in autumn. If You want, I can post two drawings from this material.
Greet
Michal
PS. Do You have any ideas why sometimes sand lizards are found on trees- eg. three meters above ground level on birch trunk or one meter above ground level on Thuja? The lizard on thuja was not escaping even when plant was watering by garden hose.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Niklas Ban » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:08 pm

It would be nice if you post the two drawings. And ehm I don't have any idea why some sand lizards climb up trees, maybe the chance to find prey animals is much better in trees.
Niklas Ban

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:27 pm

Ryc. 12. Air temperature- 1, soil temperature outside the burrow- 2, soil temperature in the burrow- 3, a- on 5-7. VIII. 1975, b- on 8. VII. 1976. Circles- points of equalization and intersection of soil temperature outside the burrow and soil temperature inside the burrow. Arrow up- leaving the burrow. Arrow down- hiding to the burrows. (Juszczyk, Turko 1982).
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Central Europe