salamander day

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

salamander day

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:53 pm

Dear herpers!

This friday I only had few hours in the morning for a trip. Since it had been raining strongly during the late night and early morning and temperature declined significantly I decided to drive up in the mountains looking for salamandra atra in activity. Maybe a good opportunity for some in-situ-shots of these funny black guys. The place is in a very narrow valley on about 1000m. As one can see in the pics the day was still very cloudy. Only few sun beams breaking through in the late morning.
IMG_2672-marultal_kl.jpg

First I arrived at a slope that is full of sources ending up in a series of small pools. I could find tadpoles of Bufo bufo and Rana temporaria and many froglets. Also some larvae of Mesotriton alpestris (only small ones).
IMG_2544-quelhang-kl.jpg

IMG_2551-quelltümpel-kl.jpg

IMG_2561-quappen_gemischt.jpg

IMG_2559-doppelconference.jpg

IMG_2554-froglet.jpg

The next place was a river bed with several pools which did not have any vegetation apart from green carpets of algae. In these pools there were only tadpoles of common frogs and hundrets of froglets and larvae of alpine newts – some of them were quiet big – I suppose that they maybe have hibernated as larvae. Also a freshly metamorphosised newt was quiet big (56mm).
IMG_2578-rt_quappen-kl.jpg

IMG_2563-froglet 2.jpg

IMG_2585-bergmolch_junge_larve-kl.jpg

IMG_2576-bergmolch_larve_groß-kl.jpg

IMG_2573-m_alpestris_aufgehellt-kl.jpg

IMG_2564-bergmolch portrait-kl.jpg

Near this fall I found several Salamadra atra (5 in total – all in activity!)
IMG_2635-wasserfall-kl.jpg

IMG_2590-S_atra-in situ3-kl.jpg

IMG_2597-s_atra-gravide-kl.jpg

IMG_2599-s_atra_weitwinkel-kl.jpg

IMG_2620-s_atra-male-kl.jpg

IMG_2629_s_atra_unterwegs-kl.jpg

Back at the river bed I could find several about one year old equally sized Rana temporaria - accumulated at the same place (why?) and Lacerta agilis close to the base of the river embankment. Under piles of twigs I could see few Zootoca vivipara disappearing. I could take a phoptograph of one completely patternless male – perhaps the most amazing find of the trip.
IMG_2668_grasfrosch_juv-kl.jpg

IMG_2644-l_agilis_juv-kl.jpg

IMG_2658-l_agilis_male-kl.jpg

IMG_2661_zootoca_patternless-kl.jpg

Nice herping to all of you!

Wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Re: salamander day

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:49 am

Good looking place!
Isn`t it funny to picture the running salamanders???
Have you also salamandra salamandra in this area?
The unicolor vivpara is a nice found, never saw this before. Years ago I found two blacks, but not more again!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Ilian Velikov » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:01 pm

Yes,very beautiful place and very nice amphibian day you've had! And you illustrated it very well with this great photos! :D
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

Jürgen, Ilian!

Thankyou for your replies!

Unfortunately we don't have S. salamandra in the very west of Austria at all - although they are a few kilometers across the swiss and bavarian border. In fact there is no reasonable explanation for that, all the more since there are no natural barriers (at least to bavaria). Only one single S.s. terrestris has been reported in 1984- never before, nor later.
I'm still wondering about that unicolor Zootoca. I knew som black ones from photographs. this one rather looks amelanotic, so one could rather expect patternless vent - but it is spotted on orange ground like in normal males! See:

IMG_2661-bauch zootoca.jpg
IMG_2661-bauch zootoca.jpg (87.29 KiB) Viewed 3592 times

Do you remeber the vents of your black viviparas?

greetings!

Wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:01 am

Not my pic, it was made by Jürgen Zerbe, but my thumb!
Zootoca_vivipara2.jpg
Zootoca_vivipara2.jpg (51.62 KiB) Viewed 3577 times
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Central Europe