Southeast Bavaria

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Southeast Bavaria

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:23 pm

We have a few introduced populations of Podarcis muralis in Bavaria and just one natural.
I visited this Population today, it’s in Oberaudorf/Southeast Bavaria.
Most of them I found on this rock wall.
Lake.jpg

banker.jpg

iron.jpg

Hot underground
hot underground 1.jpg

hot underground 2.jpg

I thought this Population is rather small, but people told that they are very common in this area.

During my picture tour I came to this hut.
hut.jpg

I saw three men in Front of it and heard that they are talking about viperas!
I listen what’s going on.
One said to the other, how can we bring that viper away, with sticks, tongs or anything else?
Have we too kill it???
I went to them and said, if you have a problem with snake, I’m your man!!
They told me the story that a vipera life around the hut and it is very close to the houses and it must go.
I looked around, it was 11.00 a. m. and very hot, so I flipped trash and stones, but found nothing.
I left, but I promised I came back and look for the snake.
I turn around and met a neighbour of them, he told me that is not a vipera it is a escaped Python from the neighbourhood!
I said Oh, ok. I went away.
25 Minutes later I came back talked again with the owner. Suddenly I saw the snake, sadly no vipera just a Coronella.
I caught it and give it to a save place.
coronella.jpg

coronella port.jpg

On the way back home I made a break at the sand pit (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=150) and looked for the tadpoles of the Bufo viridis. They grow faster than I thought!! Half of them are on the way to Land!!!
zwerg 1.jpg

zweg 2.jpg
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Re: Southeast Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello Jürgen,

thanks for the nice pics!

Yes, in most areas of Central Europe Coronella austriaca is mistaken for Vipera berus.
But, it should be an escaped Python, that´s new :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think, its important to tell people the difference.
Not, vipers have elliptical and Coronella round pupil - who wants to come so close to check this.
But the markings on the snake´s back are different, also Coronella is smooth and shiny, a.s.o.
But not only for laymen it might be difficult - I also wasn´t sure a few times, if I can grab the snake without a glove :oops: :oops:

So the best will be, tell everybody:
Leave the snake alone, she will not hurt you, if you will not hurt her

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:53 pm

Cool story! As far as I know, the population in Oberaudorf is the only natural population of P. m. maculiventris in Germany...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:42 pm

@Mario
I tried to tell the owner the differences between Coronella and Vipera berus, But he don`t wanna hear it, he was very afraid about the snake and happy that I take it away!!!

Two years ago, I saw a Coronella austriaca (???) in dry grass, I just saw a part of the body. In the Moment when I try too grab it, something/someone in my Brain said "be careful", I put my Gloves on and caught a nicce female Vipera berus!!!!!!!!
This time, the people told me that is a vipera, they despricpt a vipera, I put my gloves on. Even when I saw the snake and I saw it is a Coronella I grab it with the Glover covered hand.

@Peter
Yes, you are right.That is the only natural Population of Podarcis muralis maculiventris in Bavaria/in Germany!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 am

Great Podarcis photos! It's a good documentation since it's the only natural polpulation there! Good job!
Very nice you've saved the snake! It is very important to educate people about reptiles and amphibians!

Ilian
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Jürgen! I most like that wall lizard with arms and legs stretched out :D ! It really looks completely relaxed! Good luck to them tiny green toads!

Wolfram
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Return to Central Europe