Visiting Berner Oberland next week

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Visiting Berner Oberland next week

Postby Chris Kühn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:30 am

Hey,

I´m Chris from Aachen, Germany. I´m reading this forum a couple of weeks now and hope to contribute something in the next time. I am planning my first herping trip next week into the swiss region of Berner Oberland (Stechelberg) and I am hoping (though I think it might be already too late) to find Vipera berus and Vipera aspis.
Since I am not that experienced, tips and hints where to look, most promising weather conditions, etc. would be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris Kühn

Hometown: Aachen

Re: Visiting Berner Oberland next week

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:47 am

go to the spot very early in the morning, it's very hot actually, go at 9 am at late.
The weather will be hot, maby cloudly sometimes. Vipera aspis atra you can find in the beginning of the valley, near stones ... and vipera berus at the end, near stones too.
Good luck
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi there,
maybe we should be a little bit careful with publishing locations in this forum...
@Chris: Anyhow - good luck!
Regards
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:43 pm

Yes, please no exact spots here in the forum!
If you want to ask for some locations or you want to give places to somebody, please do it by PM!
Nobody knows, who all is reading here!
Thanks

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Chris Kühn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:26 pm

Hi,

I thought "Berner Oberland" would be vast enough. If I am lucky enough to see anything, I won´t present the location here and I did not expect to read exact locations here.
I´m starting my trip tomorrow morning with black forrest, heading to swiss on thursday and hopefully can attach some pics of the trip afterwards.
Thanks,

Chris
Chris Kühn

Postby Chris Kühn » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Just to let this threat not unfinfished, here´s my summary:
Temperatures in northern black forrest where above 30°C and I did not see anything at my two days stay. Though I enjoyed wandering the landscape and found some spots, which might be promising to look at next spring.
I took the weather with me to the alps and on my first day again I did not see anything. Weather cooled down afterwards with sunny and rainy parts. I could see some Zootoca vivipara and I found one Salamandra atra which was quite amazing for me. At approx 2500 metre asl I found some nice spots which may fit to Vipera berus but it was rainy and very cool.
Though it might sound dissapointing, I enjoyed this trip a lot and I will return next spring.
Cheers,
Chris
Chris Kühn

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:04 pm

For me it`s not necessary to find always something when I`m outside, the most important thing is to be in the nature!
Have you some area pics, Chris???
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Central Europe