Mario's adder place

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Mario's adder place

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:15 am

On thursday noon (the day before the professional fieldherper meeting in Salzburg) I took my colleagues from the train station and we visited my moor/adder place until approx 4:30 p.m..
It was very warm (24 - 25°C) for this time of the year and no clouds.
Close the parking area, a Coronella austriaca male was basking on the edge of the road.
CorAus.jpg

on the way to the bog, some juvenile Lacerta agilis were running to the sunny forest.
agilis2.jpg

an erythronotus morph was fleeing up a European spruce
agilis1.jpg

autumn impression
autumn.jpg

herpers.jpg
from left: Hannes Hill, Rudi Klepsch & Werner Kammel

only a few Zootocas have been seen, unfortunately no Vipera berus. Maybe it has been to warm or the vipers already went to hibernation (it is quite cold here during the night hours).

pan.jpg
panorama pic of one of the best viper places in the area

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: Mario's adder place

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:10 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:Maybe it has been to warm or the vipers already went to hibernation (it is quite cold here during the night hours).

The situation in Northern Black Forest: 3 weeks ago I could see 7 adders in a well-known spot. 2 weeks ago I did not see any adder in the same spot even after few hours of search (under same T°C). It is quite clear that they went to hibernation already.
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:14 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:It is quite clear that they went to hibernation already.

I'm not sure.
On saturday we've got pictures of a halfgrown and an adult male from more than 1'200 m asl (my place is a bit under 500 m asl) for ID.
Maybe will try it on wednesday morning again (tomorrow weather forecast sounds bad, lots of rain, at least until noon)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Daniel Bohle » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:02 pm

full sunshine is great for november or really cold temps.
but high temps and full sunshine is now still deadly for good result!

another problem is that - at least here - just a few animals still hang up at the typical spots and they are really hard to see at hot temp full sunshine weather!
most can be found close to the more sunny hibernaculums or they are on the way to go there
for the more shaded hibernaculums its problematic. they are wet and dark now because all these leaves are still on the trees :-/
if your population is very small and or the searchable area is big...while the hibernaculum spots are small, its easy to oversee the few animals
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Return to Central Europe