Berlin area

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Berlin area

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm going on a short non-herping trip to Berlin this weekend, but I might have a spare day to do some exploring outside. Can anyone recommend any parks or nature areas which might be interesting in March herp-wise?

Cheers, Rémon

PS. Also planning to visit the zoo and museum of natural history, but free living herps are always a bonus :lol:
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Re: Berlin area

Postby Niklas Ban » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:52 am

The Zoo is quite good, especially the Aquarium ( they have a tuatara), but the museum of natural history was a little bit disappointing.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Martti Niskanen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 pm

Niklas Ban wrote:....but the museum of natural history was a little bit disappointing.

Agreed. Display-wise not one of the european top natural history museums. I too am going to Berlin this coming weekend and might swap museums for a visit to the zoo if the weather is nice.
Martti Niskanen

Hometown: Jyvaskyla

Postby Paul Bachhausen » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:06 pm

... near Berlin, Linum (Linumer Teiche), Pelobates fuscus, Rana arvalis, Bombina bombina, Ciconia ciconia, Grus grus - but maybe a little bit to early in year!
Good luck, Paul
Paul Bachhausen

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks guys! Will definitely check out the Zoo then and might skip the museum.

Paul, thanks for the tip! Probably to early for most, but arvalis might be around. Cranes might be there yet as well, as they just flew in last weekend. Are there Emys as well?

Cheers, Rémon
Rémon ter Harmsel

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Due to bad weather I didn't visit any sites around Berlin, but I have spent about a whole day in the Zoo. I would definitely recommend going if you're in the area!
Especially the Aquarium-building (which includes a whole lot of herps) is worth the time. They have Tuatara, both species of Heloderma, a load of snakes ranging from Crotalus to Aspidites and Elaphe, even a few Chlamydosaurus kingii! A load of frogs and toads and a wide range of aquaria with among others Arapaima, Arowana's and some very big catfishes.
Rémon ter Harmsel

Return to Central Europe