Denmark, April 2015

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Denmark, April 2015

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Sun May 17, 2015 7:37 pm

I haven't posted much domestic stuff for a few years so I thought it about time. I really can't be bothered to do a full and comprehensive catch up post, though, so here's just a short presentation of last month's finds, as I was fortunate to have the time to get out a number of times, mostly just for short, local trips. Several pics are of rather sketchy quality and it's somewhat random what I've even photographed. Please bear over with me.

Tempo engaged in a little gory necrophilia

At the other side of the same pond I suddenly got the blues – not electric this time 'round.

I'm used to seeing temporaria and B. bufo mating balls. This was the first time I've seen one with arvalis.

The omnipresent big bad Bufo

April nights on the Copenhagen harbour in the company of breeding green toads in the shallows surrounded by huge eels hunting minnows around your feet and bats hunting bugs in the air are magical. I worry a little about his population though, as development is threatening its habitat. Numbers this year were depressingly low.

One of my favourite local anurans is the common spadefoot. Until last month I had never seen them by day. Then, one day I just happened to be close to a couple of breeding ponds with an hour to spend, at the right time of year and in perfect conditions. Much to my surpise I heard two calling males, managed to locate them, and even found an ovipositing couple.

Pics are crap, experience was great.

Edible frog

I went to southern Jutland on Good Friday (odd name for day commemorating the crucifixion of your hero, the Danish name ”long friday” seems more apt) in slightly chilly weather searching for alpine newts, Ichthyosaura alpestris. In Denmark, at the northernmost edge of the distribution they are rare and localized. Hence, I am not jaded and can still fully appreciate the beauty of breeding males.

Now if only I also could convey it...

I also found good numbers of the smooth newts and a couple of great crested newts.

Seeing other people's pics, I have always allowed myself to believe field aquarium photography to be easy. I guess I've been fooling myself.

I spent less time searching for and, particularly, photographing reptiles, still managed a few shots.

Sand lizards

Viviparous

Slow worms

Grass snakes

Mating

Adders

Two for one basking females with bonus grass snake
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Return to Central Europe