Slovenia and Krk, 13th-23rd June 2016

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Slovenia and Krk, 13th-23rd June 2016

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:29 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Head shape and hint of spotted throat also say muralis to me.

Here's one horvathi with spotted throat:

http://en.balcanica.info/2-4771

If the individual is overall more spotted than usual(like this one) it is likely that it might have spots where others usually don't (like the legs and throat). I'm not convinced until I see the head scales.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:50 am

Ilian Velikov wrote:Here's one horvathi with spotted throat:

And I'd say that's muralis too. ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:53 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Ilian Velikov wrote:
Here's one horvathi with spotted throat:

And I'd say that's muralis too.

I think you are right about this one. I just looked at the other photos of it.

However, it would be good to see the head of the one we are discussing here, to be sure.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:59 am

It also stems from an unusual habitat.
http://en.balcanica.info/9-1475

I live by the rule that all horvathi have a white throat, a yellowish (or white) belly and no spots on either of them. But I'm always happy to learn and broaden my perspective. ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:16 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:It also stems from an unusual habitat.
http://en.balcanica.info/9-1475

Yes, this one is muralis. The tail rings seem to be the same width and I can just about see that the rostral is not in contact with the frontonasal.

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I live by the rule that all horvathi have a white throat, a yellowish (or white) belly and no spots on either of them. But I'm always happy to learn and broaden my perspective.

I'm curious to see the head scales of the one posted here. You may be right but there's always exceptions and for some reason this one seems more like a horvathi male to me. Of course I might be wrong.
Ilian Velikov

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:03 pm

Well, Joshua, please give us a word regarding "the first siculus"/melisellensis - the locality might be
the solution, and don't be afraid to state it precisely. The two lakes on Krk are no secret to anybody,
and it could do no harm.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Joshua Smith » Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:48 pm

Apologies for my absence, thanks very much for the info. We were told that the only species present at the horvathi site were the horvathi themselves, so I'll be interested if it does turn out to be something else. I'm not overly familiar with horvathi traits so I'll not offer uninformed conjecture.

As for the sicula/melisellensis, the lake was ponikve I believe, the large reservoir, although I only had the site's GPS. I should have double checked the picture more carefully, it does look very suspicious - I wonder if it was found elsewhere and made it's way into the wrong folder when we collated our photos for the report. This is unlikely as we were as thorough as possible, but I can't see a melisellensis having been found by the lake itself - as Mario says there are just too many siculus.

Finally, I'll attach a crop of the right lizard in the horvathi picture. My software is basic so I hope it will be ok.
Attachments
Horvathi question.jpg
Joshua Smith

Hometown: Colchester

Postby Ilian Velikov » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:31 pm

Joshua, thanks for the photo and the extra information. I assume you've modified the photos to reduce their size for the forum. Is this the best resolution you have of this photo? Maybe the original is higher resolution? If yes, would you please crop the original rather than the one you already posted on the forum?
Ilian Velikov

Postby Joshua Smith » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:01 am

That is a crop of the original as I had it, taken from the photographer's fb page. I'll ask her to email me with it as the original size and post it if it's any better.
Joshua Smith

Hometown: Colchester

Previous

Return to Central Europe