Slovenia, July 2017

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: Slovenia, July 2017

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:22 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:I tried a quick image search, didn’t come up with any similar specimens.

Try with Dactylorhiza fuchsii var. rhodochila.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:09 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:I tried a quick image search, didn’t come up with any similar specimens.

Try with Dactylorhiza fuchsii var. rhodochila.

Thanks, Bero, that does look somewhat similar.

The leaves, however, are quite unlike the description of this variant.

To quote a couple of sites:

"...dark purple leaves that were blotched pale green"

"...The leaves are heavily spotted and suffused with the same colour as the flowers producing a brownish-bronze coloration."

By contrast, the leaves on this specimen were a completely unspotted bright green:

P1000270 (2).JPG

I think I'll find some orchid experts of my own to run it by as well.

Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby GertJan Verspui » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:15 pm

Great hiking adventure! nice Adders, the lizard looks like 100% Podarcis muralis to me.
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:31 pm

Thanks, GJ :)

As for the lizard, I was uncertain at first, but arguments put forth here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2759 seemed to make it pretty clear that it's horvathi.
Kristian Munkholm

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:By contrast, the leaves on this specimen were a completely unspotted bright green...
I think I'll find some orchid experts of my own to run it by as well...

Don't blame "my" orchid expert - she had only your first picture, without leaves, and in the resolution
that doesn't allow discerning fine details. She guessed the species - the right one - and said that it's
extremely variable.
The idea with Dactylorhiza fuchsii var. rhodochila was my own, not hers. And I know almost nothing
about orchids, just tried to "google" with some patience...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:By contrast, the leaves on this specimen were a completely unspotted bright green...
I think I'll find some orchid experts of my own to run it by as well...

Don't blame "my" orchid expert - she had only your first picture, without leaves, and in the resolution
that doesn't allow looking at fine details. She guessed the species and said that it's extremely variable.
The idea with Dactylorhiza fuchsii var. rhodochila was my own, not hers. And I know almost nothing
about orchids, just tried to "google" with some patience...

I'm not blaming her, just felt if I was interested I might as well try at least a little harder myself as well. If either of you have more input based on the second pic I'm still happy to hear it.

..& I did mean the thanks. Your googling got me curious and motivated to investigate a bit more on my own. Otherwise I would just have left it at "weird fuchsii" but this is more fun.

Sorry if I came across as dismissive of her or of your efforts. I can see how it could read that way but I didn't mean to. I also know details were missing from the pic, because of the resolution as well as the cropping.
Kristian Munkholm

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:37 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:I'm not blaming her, just felt if I was interested I might as well try at least a little harder myself as well. If either of you have more input based on the second pic I'm still happy to hear it.
..& I did mean the thanks. Your googling got me curious and motivated to investigate a bit more on my own. Otherwise I would just have left it at "weird fuchsii" but this is more fun.
Sorry if I came across as dismissive of her or of your efforts. I can see how it could read that way but I didn't mean to. I also know details were missing from the pic, because of the resolution as well as the cropping.

Kristian, peace on you, and people like you. Not "piss", but "peace". Everything has been said, openly, noone meant any harm and/or tried to be "the boss". That's how I like it.
Berislav Horvatic

Previous

Return to Central Europe