Slovenia in July, 2017

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Slovenia in July, 2017

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi fellow herpers,

I just got back from a vacation to Slovenia with my girlfriend. We travelled across the western part of the country armed with our tents and for me, my photography and herping gear. I did not have too much time to herp. It was only until the end of the vacation that herping was worthwhile since it had rained a good amount which cooled down the unforgiving temperatures. Slovenia really is a country that has a lot to offer for naturalists with tremendously beautiful mountains and azure blue rivers and lakes.
Herps encountered: Podarcis muralis, Iberolacerta horvathi, Lacerta viridis, Anguis fragilis, Coronella austriaca, Natrix natrix, Vipera ammodytes, Rana spec. (I think temporaria), Bombina variegata and DOR: Hierophis viridiflavus carbonarius (also sheds were found) and Zamenis longissimus.

Finding the ammodytes is kind of a funny story. The first time I found it, it was just about to shed and I could see that it would be a beautiful silver/black individual post shed since part of the tail already was detaching. Guess what, 2 days later I found the same individual a couple of meters away from where I first encountered it. Could not be happier finding this guy again. It is striking how the nose morphology is different pre- and post-shedding.

some extra's:

Pablo
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Re: Slovenia in July, 2017

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:36 am

Great shots as we have come to be used to from you, Pablo. The shedding comparison is outstanding documentation. I tend to agree that the frog is most likely temporaria. Made me think of pyrenaica for a sec, but I can be just that silly at times. Next time remember it's never hot or rainy inside a cave. :P :lol:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:38 am

A horvathi shot might provide some fun around here... ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Frédéric Seyffarth » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:30 am

I am admiring in front of such beautiful pictures.
Frédéric Seyffarth

Hometown: Husseren-Wesserling

Postby Andre Schmid » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:38 am

Beautiful pictures and a stunning ammodytes male, very nice!
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:A horvathi shot might provide some fun around here... ;)

I looked through my pictures, but I don't have any horvathi pics :(... I didn't carry my camera with me all the time (too hot for wearing a backpack all the time :p)
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Return to Central Europe