Snow berus

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Snow berus

Postby Lennart Schmid » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:01 pm

Happy new herping season everyone! (I know its been on for long, but what the heck :D ).
I wanted to share this image from yesterdays observations with you. At the time it had been snowing quite heavily for around 5 minutes, but this berus male did not seem to care. Eventually he moved away, but its still one of my most unusual observations so far. By the way, all the snow in the image came from the snowfall in the last 5 minutes. The airtemperature was around -1°C at the time of observation.
Another adder was laying in the snowstorm aswell, but cared less about moving away and tucked into the leaflitter, where it was a bit more safe from the wind.

Before the snowstorm I was able to observe an overall of 6 adders in light snowfall, that of course had been accompanied by a couple of sunrays every now and then.
Its so crazy, yet fascinating to see how resistent these snakes seem to be towards extreme weather and temperatures!

ImageVipera berus in a snowstorm by Lennart Schmid, auf Flickr
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Re: Snow berus

Postby Christoph Stenger » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:02 pm

Pretty "cool" observation. Amazing.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Re: Snow berus

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:51 pm

Like Christoph said! :-) Thanks for sharing!
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Return to Central Europe