Vipera berus mating

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Vipera berus mating

Postby Tomas Klacek » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:44 am

Hi!
I spend a day in a spot with I guess 12 adders, maybe more, I'm not sure with some individuals. I was a witness of two male combats, unfortunately I do not have a good photo or video, but it was a really great experience. I also saw mating attempts and have a video which I want to discuss....

It started to be intersting around 1:30. Originally they were fully under leaves, I found them by the noise. It was an opportunity for me, to gently place a tripod with a camera close to them. The male was so active around the female that he threw away all the cover and I had a clear view. What do you thing about the behavior at 4:12? Just yawning? Thanks!

https://youtu.be/NZrGGYaiKXk

With regards,
t.
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Re: Vipera berus mating

Postby Tomas Klacek » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:11 am

Some more photos, all are in-situ. It´s great to just stand there and watch their spring interactions. The male in the plastic tarp was the king of this spot, during the day we watched he succesfully and repeatedly fight off three other males. There was a hidden female under the tarp.

Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:04 pm

Very nice! :-)
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Andre Schmid » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:46 am

Beautiful pictures, thanks for showing. The males have really nice colors at your site. :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Christoph Stenger » Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Thank for sharing - great pictures one does not see everyday. My last excursions to the berus populations in the Spessart area (Germany) habe only produced one female. I was hoping for fighting males but it probably was already too late in the year as it is and has been quite warm around here.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Return to Central Europe