Bufo bufo - still tadpoles!

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Bufo bufo - still tadpoles!

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:47 am

I know it is common in some species, but I have never heard about wintering tadpoles of Bufo bufo, especially given the early date at which this species deposits the eggs. Below some pictures taken 3 days ago - not sure if they will actually winter, but I'm guessing they'll have to - getting colder here everyday. Nevertheless, the front legs seem to have already developped in the gill chamber. I doubt the juveniles would survive the winter.

Anyone has ever seen anything similar for this species?

paddenlarven 001.JPG

paddenlarven 003.JPG
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Re: Bufo bufo - still tadpoles!

Postby Rok Grzelj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:17 pm

I saw some bufo tadpoles in my garden pond at the end of summer...but they make it....they developed.
Rok Grzelj

Hometown: Postojna

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Interesting. I guess there's a lot of regional variation, but Belgian populations tend to metamorphose and leave the water in June-July, so I was very surprised to see some as late as half way into October...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Rok Grzelj » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:29 pm

Later the size betwen the firs metamorphosed toads and the last ones was big...still dont know how the latest will survive winter as we had minus temperatures during night already in september.
Rok Grzelj

Hometown: Postojna

Return to Central Europe