N. natrix from W-Austria

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

N. natrix from W-Austria

Postby Wolfram Schurig » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 pm

Hi!

I want to show you some Natrix-pics from around my hometown, Feldkirch! This year i startet seriously in photographing snakes. My main target was Natrix natrix, since this is the only species that is available more ore less in my region. Coronella is very rare and Vipera berus restricted to aereas high up in the mountains that cannot be reached easyly.

I found some juvenile Grass Snakes hanging and basking in vegetation over the water, which was quiet surprising for me. Also interesting for me was the helvetica-like pattern of some individuals although they all should be N.n.natrix!

Most pics are non-documentary! Nevertheless, I hope you can enjoy them .... :mrgreen:

Greetings

Wolfram
Attachments
IMG_1023-natrix angeschmiegt kl_1 Kopie.jpg
IMG_0900 ringi hängend_1 Kopie.jpg
IMG_0894_ringelrutsch_pano.jpg
IMG_0856-pokemon 2_pano.jpg
IMG_0840 ringi gekurvt-zg unten.jpg
IMG_8646-schnurrbartzüngler_1 Kopie.jpg
IMG_8641-natrix seitlich 1_vers3.jpg
IMG_8612-entrollend 2_1 Kopie.jpg
Wolfram Schurig

Hometown: Feldkirch

Re: N. natrix from W-Austria

Postby Dominik Hauser » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:38 am

Hello Wolfram,

In the Rheinvalley there should also helvetica be possible.
Here I found an interesting article about the reptiles and amphibians of the Swizzer part of the Rheinvalley in German (under Natrix there is something written about the subspecies natrix and helvetica), maybe thats the solution for the helvetica like Natrix you found:
http://www.naturinfo.ch/reptilien/img/d ... l-2001.pdf

Greetings Dom
Dominik Hauser

Hometown: Weingarten BW

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:23 pm

Beatiful - I like these abstract pics of snakes in the water!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 am

Hello!

In Vorarlberg (and also in many parts in Northern Tyrol), Natrix natrix helvetica occurs.

VerbrNatrNatr,W-Oesterr.jpg
Distribution of Natrix natrix in W-Austria. Part of the map in the Austrian Herpeto-Atlas

In chapter 10 of "Atlas zur Verbreitung und Ökologie der Amphibien und Reptilien in Österreich", Werner Mayer writes:
Die heutigen Verbreitungsgebiete von N. natrix helvetica ('Barrenringelnatter') und der Nominatform sind zweifellos das Ergebnis nacheiszeitlicher Expansion aus glazialen Refugialräumen. Die heutige Arealgrenze verläuft als unterschiedlich breites Übergangsgebiet von der Nordsee östlich des Rheins südwärts nach Württemberg, dann ostwärts durch die Nordost-Schweiz, Vorarlberg und Tirol und von hier wieder südwärts zur östlichen Po-Ebene (THORPE, 1979). Dies bestätigen auch unsere Nachweise beider Phänotypen sowie von
Übergangsexemplaren aus Vorarlberg und dem größten Teil Nordtirols. Während die Kontaktzone in Vorarlberg ihre Fortsetzung in der Ostschweiz findet, sind die Verhältnisse in Nordtirol schwerer zu interpretieren. Die Nominatform hat dieses Gebiet zweifellos von Bayern aus über Inn- und Lechtal besiedelt; für die westliche Unterart muß, da eine Überwindung des Arlbergs kaum anzunehmen ist, eine Einwanderung über die Zentralalpenpässe (Brenner, Reschenpaß) oder - wahrscheinlicher - vom Engadin durch das Oberinntal angenommen werden.

in short english:
Todays distribution of Natrix natrix natrix and Natrix natrix helvetica are a result of postglacial expansion from glacial refugia. ... Both Phaenotypes occur in Vorarlbertg and northern Tyrol. Nominate form in Tyrol must have reached this province through the Inn- and Lech valley, while helvetica (the Arlberg mountain seems to be to high) has reached Tyrol from the south (Brenner, Reschenpass) or more likely via the Inn valley from the Engadin (Switzerland).

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 am

pic No. 4 is my favorite! I love Natrix natrix!!!

92 Days = 01.03.2011 :( :( :(
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Central Europe