Natrix tessellata & Vipera aspis by Leman Lake, Switzerland

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Natrix tessellata & Vipera aspis by Leman Lake, Switzerland

Postby Bastien Comment » Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 pm

This a place where I come for more than 10 years near Lausanne by the Leman Lake with plenty of Natrix tessellata. I've known times when I could see more than 20 snakes in an afternoon but the last times I had come had not been very successful. Though it might also simply have to do with the temperature (the last times, it was at least 6 degrees hotter than this time, about 20 degrees), I've been very happy to see that this population is doing pretty well at least in the first place I visited. In the second, I haven't found any Natrix but...I've found an asp viper! This is really very surprising to me because I've come here in Spring, Summer and Autumn, mornings, noons and afternoons (and even begining of the evening when there's still some sun) and I had never ever found a viper there, so close to the water.
Attachments
DSC02854.JPG
DSC02855.JPG
This was a big Natrix tessellata but unfortunately, it escaped right after I had taken the picture...
DSC02857.JPG
The second snake I've seen escaped too fast, this is the third Natrix tessellata of the day. Not as big as the first one but still very nice.
DSC02862.JPG
DSC02864.JPG
This specimen has very nice yellow lines.
DSC02874.JPG
DSC02875.JPG
DSC02882.JPG
DSC02884.JPG
DSC02887.JPG
DSC02897.JPG
A young adult found under a stone.
DSC02904.JPG
DSC02907.JPG
DSC02911.JPG
DSC02913.JPG
DSC02916.JPG
DSC02917.JPG
Home sweet home!
DSC02918.JPG
DSC02940.JPG
Hmmm, where does it hide?
DSC02931.JPG
Ah, there it is! A baby Natrix tessellata. There are many of them hidden under the stones.
DSC02922.JPG
DSC02934.JPG
DSC02949.JPG
And another baby.
DSC02957.JPG
DSC02960.JPG
DSC02965.JPG
DSC02967.JPG
This is the smallest specimen I've found.
DSC02972.JPG
DSC02980.JPG
DSC02985.JPG
DSC02989.JPG
DSC02987.JPG
DSC02947.JPG
Some pictures of the spot.
DSC02891.JPG
DSC02893.JPG
DSC02991.JPG
This is the first part of the spot, the one with many stones to flip and many baby and young snakes under ;-)
DSC02993.JPG
At another spot only about 1 kilometer away. Basking between the rocks, close to the Lake...
DSC02994.JPG
...an asp viper!
DSC02994copie.jpg
DSC02998.JPG
And another surprise after the viper!
DSC03013.JPG
DSC03020.JPG
Don't be afraid mate, I'm just passing...
DSC03025.JPG
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Re: Natrix tessellata & Vipera aspis by Leman Lake, Switzerland

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue May 24, 2011 8:15 pm

Good pictures of many individuals of this invasiv species ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Tue May 24, 2011 8:34 pm

Bastien Comment wrote:16.05.2011

This a place where I come for more than 10 years near Lausanne by the Leman Lake with plenty of Natrix tessellata. I've known times when I could see more than 20 snakes in an afternoon but the last times I had come had not been very successful. Though it might also simply have to do with the temperature (the last times, it was at least 6 degrees hotter than this time, about 20 degrees), I've been very happy to see that this population is doing pretty well at least in the first place I visited. In the second, I haven't found any Natrix but...I've found an asp viper! This is really very surprising to me because I've come here in Spring, Summer and Autumn, mornings, noons and afternoons (and even begining of the evening when there's still some sun) and I had never ever found a viper there, so close to the water.

Part of the reason you may not be seeing quite as many is that there is an eradication campaign against Natrix tessellata in progress in Lake Geneva. The species you SHOULD be finding there in numbers is Natrix maura, not Natrix tessellata, and it appears likely that the reason for the decline of the native species is in fact the invasive dice snake. While it is always painful to think of killing snakes, the fact is that the dice snakes should not be in Lake Geneva, and moreover, this would give them a potential starting point to invade other river systems where they might endanger N. maura. Whoever had the bright idea of releasing dice snakes into Lake Geneva deserves to have their backside kicked long and hard!

The lakeside vipers are a really cool find!
Wolfgang Wüster

Hometown: Bangor

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue May 24, 2011 9:03 pm

On our way home from Berner Oberland I showed my compagnions the place where the introduced Natrix tessellata are living at lake Alpnach.
See also posting from last year:
http://www.fieldherping.eu/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=451

Close to the parking site we met a group of nature interested people, guided by one guy of the KARCH.
At the parking place he had all the introduced snake species living now at lake Alpnach, like Vipera aspis ssp., Vipera ammodytes, Zamenis longissimus and a Natrix n. helvetica/persa hybrid.

DSC_6323.jpg

DSC_6328.jpg

Lake Alpnach and its surroundings, Europe´s largest outdoor pan :lol:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Bastien Comment » Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 pm

@Wolfgang: Of course I know that the tessellata is not native from here and was imported but I didn't know that there was an eradication campaign against it...I think I've never seen a Natrix maura here indeed. Shouldn't I find also Natrix natrix in the area? Again in over 10 years, I've never seen one here...
Bastien Comment

Hometown: Lausanne

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Wed May 25, 2011 7:33 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:Close to the parking site we met a group of nature interested people, guided by one guy of the KARCH.
At the parking place he had all the introduced snake species living now at lake Alpnach, like Vipera aspis ssp., Vipera ammodytes, Zamenis longissimus and a Natrix n. helvetica/persa hybrid.

There are wild ammmodytes living around Lake Alpnach?!?!?
Wolfgang Wüster

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed May 25, 2011 7:45 am

Wolfgang Wüster wrote:
Mario Schweiger wrote:Close to the parking site we met a group of nature interested people, guided by one guy of the KARCH.

There are wild ammmodytes living around Lake Alpnach?!?!?

Yes, still there must be at least one male living!
Last year, when KARCH was doing measurements on V. aspis from lake Alpnach, they had a high gravid female, giving birth to hybrids in the box (stress?).
A friend saw last year a viper crawling into rocks very fast - so no picture. But from markings, he was sure it was an ammodytes.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Wolfgang Wüster » Wed May 25, 2011 7:47 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:Yes, still there must be at least one male living!
Last year, when KARCH was doing measurements on V. aspis from lake Alpnach, they had a high gravid female, giving birth to hybrids in the box (stress?).
A friend saw last year a viper crawling into rocks very fast - so no picture. But from markings, he was sure it was an ammodytes.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I think I will book a flight to Zürich right now.... ;)

Bastien: on e of the reasons Natrix maura is rare is the presence of N. tessellata - you rarely the get two in the same habitat. Natrix natrix is not really a snake of open lake shores like in your picture, so I am not so surprised that it would not be found there. However... do you have a higher resolution version of the photo just above the shot of the railway line on the Lake shore? The pattern on that looks rather maura-like...
Wolfgang Wüster

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed May 25, 2011 8:06 am

I see a maura on this pic too ;)
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 am