Vacation in Switzerland (Ticino and Berner Oberland)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Vacation in Switzerland (Ticino and Berner Oberland)

Postby Tim Leerschool » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 pm

Hallo everyone,

my first post here including pictures (a bit overdue but better late than never ;) )

I spend my vacation with my family in Switzerland. With 4 sisters that are not to keen on herps it was difficult to really spend time on finding some. Still, whenever I had time I grabbed my mountain-bike and started cycling and stopping at some sites that looked good. We first visited Ticino because my sisters wanted a tan :lol: ... Hot weather and the days were mostly spended laying on the beach.

This resulted in the following pictures! Hope you enjoy!

I found my first reptiles in a old city-center. Not surprising for these wall-crawlers but still surprising to see.
Podarcis muralis maculiventris

And their habitat:

The next day we had rain in the morning and in the afternoon it started to clear with good conditions for snakes. Back on my cycle to a little place I saw a couple days earlier.

Lifting these plates resulted in my first H. viridiflavus! I was thrilled to find this species. Snappy snakes that show a lot of character!

Also found these among the leaf-litter:

Playing with the settings of my camera resulted in this:

Aslo found this little flower. The shape of it's leaves made me think this is an orchid but I have no clue what so ever on the exact species.

Then We left to Berner-Oberland. Nice camping with some fantastic views!

A couple of hiking tours were not very succesfull. the temperatures were very high for reptiles and everything was found flipping things (although I noticed that some people swear by flipping things is the way to find some animals, and I don't disagree :lol: )

A couple of walks in some ideal V. aspis habitat led to nothing. Temperatures were to hot by the time we arrived. When we returned I checked out the surrounding with some surprising finds:
I beieve this is the most beautiful salamander that I've seen so far.
Salamandra atra

Also found N. natrix along a fast flowing river. Pretty strange habitat I thought because the river would be dangerous for me to swim. Still pleased with the find!

Also seen I. alpestris and B. bufo

But the most stunning find during the entire vacation was by far a Edelweiss! Fantastic and iconic little flower.

Hope you enjoyed.

Kind regards,

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Hometown: Limburg

Re: Vacation in Switzerland (Ticino and Berner Oberland)

Postby Sjuul Verhaegh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:50 pm

I enjoyed Tim :)

Like the first picture of the S. atra! :mrgreen:

See you soon ;)
Sjuul Verhaegh

Hometown: Netherlands

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:35 pm

The landscape pics from the Berner Oberland are fantastic!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Paul Lambourne » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:36 pm

Tim,
atra pics great, but bufo picture outstanding.. I love the little fellas..Ticino (happy Grégoire :D ) is a fantastic area for herping.. and climbing.. its a win win..
Paul Lambourne

Hometown: London

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Thanks for the report and congrats on your finds :)

I agree with Jürgen - your landscape pics are wonderful.

Your flower is not an orchid but Impatiens sp. I am not familiar with the Swiss species of this genus but it probably shouldn't be too hard to ID at species level.
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Grégoire Meier » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Good, because you know how to write correctly Ticino ;) . I dare not imagine how all of you, however you pronounce it! (definitely in the same way I write English) :evil: :D

You have been awarded, finding a Hierophis viridiflavus not too black, as are the majority of us!
Grégoire Meier

Hometown: Ticino

Postby Sebastian Holzki » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:09 pm

Great pictures.
Sebastian Holzki

Hometown: Berlin

Postby Tim Leerschool » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks for all you compliments!

The area were we've been looked fantastic. I sure tried to capture that on camera! I'm glad you all like it.

Grégoire Meier wrote:Good, because you know how to write correctly Ticino ;) . I dare not imagine how all of you, however you pronounce it! (definitely in the same way I write English) :evil: :D

You have been awarded, finding a Hierophis viridiflavus not too black, as are the majority of us!

I did my best! I've read how some people tend to write it wrong ;)

Is the carbonarius sub-species for Hierophis viridiflavus still valid? I thought not. THe specimen I caught luckily had some colour! The yellow on them is fantastic. This was my first and I hope to find some brighter coloured ones in the future!

Best regards,

Tim
Tim Leerschool

Hometown: Limburg

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:45 am

Tim Leerschool wrote:
Is the carbonarius sub-species for Hierophis viridiflavus still valid? I thought not. THe specimen I caught luckily had some colour! The yellow on them is fantastic. This was my first and I hope to find some brighter coloured ones in the future!

Best regards,

Tim

Tim,
see PDF 1896 -Joger, U., U. Fritz, D. Guicking, S. Kalyabina-Hauf, Z.T. Nagy & M. Wink (2007): Phylogeography of western Palaearctic reptiles – Spatial and temporal speciation patterns.- Zoologischer Anzeiger 246 (2007): 293–313
[EDIT]: is in the database now too: PDF 2362
and PDF-2362: Nagy, Z.T., Joger, U., Guicking, D., Amann, T., Wink, M., 2002. Phylogeography of the European whip snake, Coluber (Hierophis) viridiflavus Lacepede, 1789, inferred from nucleotide sequences of the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene and ISSR genomic fingerprinting. Biota 3, 109–118.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:43 am

The mysterious plant looks like Himalayan Balsam Impatiens grandulifera
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Next

Return to Central Europe