Is it still worth to go out?

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Is it still worth to go out?

Postby Daniel Bohle » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:21 pm

I would say yes ;-)
Found 5 adders, 2 females, 2 males and one subadult. Just 2 of these 5 I already know from last saturday, so the "hot" weather reactivated some of the other ones again ;-)
Temps about 14°, sun about 0,8 hours so far for today....yes, heavy fog here :evil:
Looking at the satellite pictures most of the other part of germany suffer under pure hot sun today :D
Attachments
DSC_3050.JPG
Daniel Bohle

Hometown: Berlin

Re: Is it still worth to go out?

Postby Daniel Bohle » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:10 pm

I still would say yes ;-)
Found 12 adders, 2 females, 2 males and 4 subadult and 4 babys. Just 1 of these 12 I already know from last friday, so the "hot" weather reactivated some of the other ones again ;-)
Temps about 15° (at night 9°) and full sunshine.
Looking at the satellite pictures some other part of germany suffer under fog today :D
Attachments
DSC_3104.JPG
Daniel Bohle

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:15 pm

Nice :)

... & I agree. No adders up here today but 2 grass snakes, 2 sand lizards, 1 slow worm, 4 smooth newts & a common toad in 40 minutes (all the reptiles and one of the newts out in the open). Not too shabby for a cloudy - not to say overcast - November day in Denmark :)

If the weather holds up - and forecasts say it should - I hope to find the time to check another nearby locality for adders one of the next couple of days.
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Andre Schmid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 pm

Really cool, congrats !
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Daniel Bohle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:08 pm

Kristian Munkholm wrote:Nice :)
No adders up here today but 2 grass snakes, 2 sand lizards, 1 slow worm, ...

not bad, never saw a sand lizard that late and slow worms are the first that disapear here.

today I just found one "new" male and the female from the first posting...maybe my next try will be the last one for this year :cry:
temps about 14° (at night 3°) and full sunshine.
Attachments
DSC_3277.JPG
Daniel Bohle

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Love those autumn-pictures-with-adder, Daniel!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Daniel Bohle » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:57 pm

here one of my favorite pics from this years oktober
Attachments
DSC_2004.JPG
Daniel Bohle

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I'm with the others - love the autumn adders... & good luck on that final trip ;)

Daniel Bohle wrote:
Kristian Munkholm wrote:Nice :)
No adders up here today but 2 grass snakes, 2 sand lizards, 1 slow worm, ...

not bad, never saw a sand lizard that late and slow worms are the first that disapear here.

today I just found one "new" male and the female from the first posting...maybe my next try will be the last one for this year :cry:
temps about 14° (at night 3°) and full sunshine.

Juvenile sand lizards are often among the last reptiles I see so these were no surprise to me. Last year when autumn was much cooler I found the last ones October 23. The slow worm however was quite a shock - I hadn't seen one since september. Nevertheless, this was the scene I came across after all of 2 minutes of searching:

Temperatures peaked a little later in the day at 13 degrees, wind was about 5-6 m/s. Conditions were more or less overcast with just a little sun occasionally peaking through where the cloud cover was thinner. There were a couple of holes in the clouds though, so there may have been full sun for short periods of time a little earlier.

I went again Friday. The weather forecast hadn't been too promising but conditions seemed quite good when I left the house. Alas, timing and geography were not on my side so although it's just a short drive when I got to the site it was clearly too cold, gray and windy to expect to find anything. I did find one grass snake in the exact same spot though - dead. I'm guessing it was the same individual and have no clue what might have happened. There were no external injuries and it was clearly well fed. The hibernaculum is a mere 10 meters away. When I picked up the limp snake to examine it closer its tail started twitching from muscle spasms.

For whatever reason even though my books say adders go into hibernation later than grass snakes my last snake of the year is usually a grass snake - seems it will be again this year as the forecast doesn't seem to offer much hope for more reptiles. Conditions seemed perfect Saturday (12 degrees, full sun, very little wind, recent nights well above freezing) but I couldn't find the time :(

Next year...
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Postby Daniel Bohle » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:02 pm

One female left...

Full sunshine and around 6°
I measured with a cheap infrared thermometer -2° up to 6° on the ground.
On sunny spots I measured 8° up to 12°, on some rare good spots around 16° and the best was 20°.
The snake was around 21° and the spot was 16°.
Attachments
2011-11-12_13-27-09.jpg
Daniel Bohle

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:48 pm

? I'm blind.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Next

Return to Central Europe