It's always worth it to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: It's always worth to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:27 pm

Well done! Get well soon to hunt some more! ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Martin Ertner » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:21 pm

My first finding on this year. I found 5 individuals salamanders.
Czech republic near Giant mountains: 5°C ;)
Attachments
IMG_8964.jpg
Martin Ertner

Hometown: Zacler

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:24 pm

I was a week with my wife in South Tyrol and spend a few hours in the evening to watch for Salamandra`s. Strange because they had no Rain the past Days and the Area was very dry, Temperatures around 16 Degrees, but I can do that, because I have not much ideas about Amphibians.
I had the luck to find one - sitting in the water. After a while he disappeared.
001.jpg

15 Minutes later I found another one, also sitting in the water. What they are doing there?
002.jpg

Later I walked along a road and found a mander eating a worm.
003.jpg

Full of Dust.
004.jpg

The next evening, it was two Degrees warmer, I tried my luck again.
I found 7 Salamander, one was on the way to the water, one left the water and five were sitting in the water.
I think they were all going to the water to soak up some moist.
005.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

I came a across this situation, 4 toads against one mander. This is nature, so let the nature work it out? Not in this case, I save the manders life.

008.jpg

009.jpg
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:47 pm

I think a lot of those hes were shes looking to drop larvae ;)
That final scene looks nasty....
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Laura Bok » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:14 pm

Jürgen wrote: 15 Minutes later I found another one, also sitting in the water. What they are doing there?

:D :D :D
I could tease you know, call you "ignorant viper boy" or other nasty things. But I won´t. Because you went out, at night, to actually look for salamanders. Two nights in a row. I am proud of you. And, because you already saw more salamanders than me in 2016, also a bit jealous.
;)
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:00 am

Laura Tiemann wrote:. I am proud of you. ;)

thank you Laura! :D

He, what you Guys think? Do you think that the son of the Desert have no idea how the things work with Salamander? :lol: :lol:

I was sitting close to one of them, with very less light and it done nothing else than walking around in the water and left it after a few minutes.

Are the fresh larvae’s that small that it is not possible to see them?
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:09 am

Woow, been a long time! Summer has been brutally quiet. While the season's kick-off may already hit in August, the first half of September 2016 was very hot and dry this year. But now, it finally started in all its glory.

The fun thing, starting this year, is that a network of salamander counting crews has started here in Flanders. The authorities decided to add fire salamander to the list of species requiring monitoring due to their Natura2000 status (being listed in annexes 2 and/or 4 of the Habitat Directive), eventhough the species does not have that status. Coincidentally, I had already been setting up a similar network a few years earlier, so this added a legal base to a voluntary idea. Now, 36 teams will (hopefully!) do (at least) two counts in all Flemish populations each autumn. As I am coordinating the network, it's really fun and handy to learn how many animals are being seen in each forest patch. While it's still early days, it's already clear that there are strong differences in salamander abundance between populations. I'm also jealous of some people spotting multiple amplexi, while those are still weirdly rare in my counts...

Wouter and I started off with a little over 200 manders last Friday. Nicely following the rule of thumb of 1%, two orange ones among them. Surprisingly high number of tiny juveniles in comparison to other September counts. Maybe they're all desperate to eat, as metamorphosis was followed by a long spell of inhospitable weather? Also, while the sex ratio is clearly skewed towards males, a high portion of gravid females, both usual things after summer. Now it's waiting to see if the first larvae arrive earlier than November, but won't be any time soon, as water levels are still very low.

Like before, forgot to take a photo with more appeal than just a salamander in a container with a ruler, sorry!

Can't wait to get out there again!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:23 pm

Well, allright then...

Notice anything unusual about this guy?

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:26 pm

I do not!

Was waiting for your post...
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Bobby Bok » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:34 pm

Apart from the fact that salamanders usually don't sit on rulers, this one has five toes on the front feet.... That is freaky!
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

PreviousNext

Return to Central Europe