It's always worth it to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: It's always worth to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:40 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Winter's (nearly) over!

First 4 'manders out last night.

Lucky basterd! Wish I had playground woods like that, I have to wait a little longer.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:19 am

as usual, the year starts with the same thing the last one ended. here's a female depositing larvae in shallow water, despite no rain for 2 weeks or so. the best has yet to come
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kamil Szepanski » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:46 pm

Poor Laura,

but as I only moved here, I think I may state, that I found already Salamandras in Bavaria this year (though the locals say it's Franconia :P )
Kamil D. Szepanski
lungenlos.de
Kamil Szepanski

Hometown: Aalen

Postby Laura Bok » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:23 pm

Hey Kamil,

I found already Salamandras in Bavaria this year (though the locals say it's Franconia :P )

Now, that is INDEED something very different ;). Today I visited a known spot for Rana temporaria in the city of Munich. Even there, the small pond was still covered with ice and no frogs were showing. However, I am positive that the countdown has started...

Until then, please keep posting ;)

Regards,
Laura
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:08 am

Laura Tiemann wrote:Until then, please keep posting ;)

We aim to please ;) .

While last night was OK for temp, it was dry (has been like that for a couple of weeks). Today, a lot of rain, with the to-be-expected result. My all-time record of 141 (December 1st 2011) was broken :D => 145! Although I should admit, it's actually 'only' 110 in that same forest patch (over about 2,5 hours time); after my monitoring route (taking pics of each animal), I visited a possible extra route in another area and only just counted. On that final route, I found another 35 animals in a 30 minutes hike. There are some indications that most other populations in Flanders have lower numbers, but it goes to show that secretive animals can be far more abundant than we might guestimate ;) .

on the move towards water =>

I kinda like this one - female in the water, with larva in the shot =>

those juvies can have crazy patterns =>

here's one with a "cross-over" lateral spot on the neck and a tasty meal in front of its mouth =>

these guys were found like this, as if they were racing (unfortunately pic is rather lo-fi...) =>

as found, one in front, two in the back =>

to conclude, just a regular face-to-face with the cutest animal on the planet =>
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Laura Bok » Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 am

We aim to please ;) .

You definitely achieved your aim ;)

Regards,
Laura
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

Jeroen, did You find any specimen that presented appearance typical for nominal subspecies? S. salamandra reaches so high latitude in the Netherlands and in Poland it is known only at south because of lack of beech and oak woodlands in most part of PL, am I right? And what about I. alpestris- this species is ecologically malleable so why in my country their lowland populations seems to be relict in comparsion with the situation in the Netherlands? It is said that in PL there is several lowland populations as relicts- they were common here about four thousand years ago but deforestation limited their distribution to the south and few relict lowland populations. I don't understand it, the Netherlands has more percent of fields.
Greet
Michał
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:did You find any specimen that presented appearance typical for nominal subspecies?

Not really, no. Also, the nominal ssp. often tends to have a slightly "warmer" yellow pattern (which I might have destroyed by playing a little bit with the saturation of my pics :oops: ).

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:S. salamandra reaches so high latitude in the Netherlands and in Poland it is known only at south because of lack of beech and oak woodlands in most part of PL, am I right?

While the distribution of Fagus trees partially goes hand in hand with that of S.s., it has been demonstrated not to be a truely causal factor, if I remember well. Latitude is one thing, but Polish climate differs from Dutch climate quite a great deal.

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:And what about I. alpestris- this species is ecologically malleable so why in my country their lowland populations seems to be relict in comparsion with the situation in the Netherlands?

Same answer, although you can factor in your own landuse story.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Polish climate differs from Dutch climate quite a great deal.

What do You mean?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote: Polish climate differs from Dutch climate quite a great deal.

What do You mean?

Continental versus Atlantic.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Central Europe