It's always worth it to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Luxembourg, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Liechtenstein, Slovenia

Re: It's always worth to go out (for Salamandra) ;-)

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:46 am

Robin Duborget wrote:What are the lowest temperature they can withstand at night ?

Depends on the region, but I found some(!) active at 3-4°C. Usually, I don't bother searching for them at lower temps.

Robin Duborget wrote:What are the best conditions for looking for Salamandra salamandra ?

No wind, 12-15°C, no moonlight, >90% humidity. And seasonality (which is obviously also a regionally differing thing).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Robin Duborget » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:00 am

Thank, it's pretty much the same condition than Salamandra corsica ! Maybe it's just than there is not a lot of salamander in m region.

Robin
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:09 am

Only 5°C last night, but the heat is back on - 75 animals, including many gravid females (so not all dropped the kids off already in the last months).
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:23 am

Indeed the heat is back on.
134 animals last night. 70 females of which 41 were depositing larvae.
The yellowest animal I've seen so far: Female in the water.
P2260911klein.jpg

P2260914klein.jpg

And then something really surprising.
I witnessed a mating attempt. A relatively small male was trying to mate a pregnant female. She didn't seem to like his efforts very much. I managed to make a very short video.

After this the struggling went on for about 10 seconds and then she broke free and ran off.
I checked the male, and this is how his cloaca looked like immediately after the attempt:
P2260931klein.jpg

Then I searched for the female. She had fled to the nearest tree and tried to hide in a submerged hole between the roots.
P2260932klein.jpg

Which makes me believe that she had other plans for the evening.
You can't blame him for trying though. Life must be hard enough when you don't have a penis! ;)

Let's finish with another nice male:
P2260936klein.jpg

Bert
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am

Verrry nice!!! Only 34 here, but temps had dropped and rain had stopped :?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Rémon ter Harmsel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Stunning yellow animal!
Rémon ter Harmsel

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Robin Duborget » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:10 pm

Very nice indeed ! Sadly not enough rain in southern France for searching for salamanders despite the high temp :cry: ...
Robin Duborget

Hometown: Corte - Corsica

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:03 pm

important for Salamandra researchers ;)

Balogová, M. & M. Uhrin (2015): Sex-biased dorsal spotted patterns in the fire salamander (Salamandra salamandra).- SALAMANDRA 51(1): 12–18

Abstract: Sexual dichromatism has been reported for several amphibian species. Generally, in the animal kingdom, males are more colourful than females. This more pronounced colouration in either quantitative (area of pigmentation) or qualitative (hue, saturation, brightness) form probably plays a role in courtship or mate attraction, but one common polytypic species Salamandra salamandra is still unexplored in this conjunction. We investigated the dorsal patterns of wintering salamanders captured from December 2012 to April 2013 in six underground shelters in Slovakia. We recorded significant size differences between the sexes in all of the morphometric characteristics evaluated, and using free image analysis software, we provide first evidence of the existence of sexual dichromatism in this species, as males exhibit significantly larger yellow spots on the dorsum and tail than females. No significant sex-related differences in the number of spots and their qualitative colour parameters (hue, saturation, brightness) were detected, though. In both sexes, spots along the vertebral line predominate. The dominance in colouration in females on the left-hand side and the weak correlations between snout–vent lengths and spot characteristics were also surveyed, as was the total area covered with spots.

PDF-7630 in DB
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Thank you, sir! At least some of it holds true for 'my' terrestris too.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 am

After a long month of cold and dry nights, the last week has offered several "more than 100" nights, as the rather regular February-March dip is followed by a second dedicated session of larvae deposition.

Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Central Europe