Spring in Croatia

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Spring in Croatia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue May 15, 2012 4:03 pm

Ah, too late, Boris was faster...
No need to google the thing, it's already here:

[EDIT by Admin] Please no links to literature for everybody!
fieldherping.eu members may grab it from DB = PDF-1780 in DB [end EDIT]

But my question remains, it's a matter of principle.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 15, 2012 4:13 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:what do YOU think about publicly answering this question?

Random thoughts as they come to mind:
* caspius is not ursinii (species level consideration)
* Croatian caspius are at species range margins, which always deserve special care (population level consideration)
* I don't know the status of those populations (population level consideration)
* papers are out, so anyone can find them <=> every time some piece of info is repeated over the internet, the word spreads more and more... ("moral" issue)

As a general rule, I would not answer this, at least not in a public forum, regardless of the fact that it is already "out there". There are other examples of papers giving specific coordinates for sites of threatened (sub)species and morphs of European herps, yet I would rather not be the one offering them on a silver platter on a public webpage.

Then again, I'm highly inconsistent [searching for smilie with clown's nose...]. Who knows what'll I do tomorrow...? :|
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 pm

There's a big difference between publishing citing for a certain area and literally providing lat/lon data.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue May 15, 2012 4:28 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:As a general rule, I would not answer this, at least not in a public forum, regardless of the fact that it is already "out there". There are other examples of papers giving specific coordinates for sites of threatened (sub)species and morphs of European herps, yet I would rather not be the one offering them on a silver platter on a public webpage.

Thanks. You worded my own thoughts so nicely.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue May 15, 2012 5:20 pm

I´ve edited Beros posting with the link => removed the link.
Just gave the PDF-number.
So members may grab it, others not (so easily).

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue May 15, 2012 5:25 pm

* caspius is not ursinii (species level consideration)
Sure.
* Croatian caspius are at species range margins, which always deserve special care (population level consideration)
Sure. And the island is very small, as you pointed yourself in a recent posting.
* I don't know the status of those populations (population level consideration)
Nobody does yet. Al of them were discovered so very recently. All that we know is that they are small.
* papers are out, so anyone can find them <=> every time some piece of info is repeated over the internet, the word spreads more and more... ("moral" issue)

I also readilly sign what Micha wrote. Well said, nothing to add - in the sense that you both
formulated the given (im)possibilities that face us. One has to swim in that as best as one can.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue May 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:I´ve edited Beros posting with the link => removed the link.
Just gave the PDF-number.
So members may grab it, others not (so easily).

So the poor others will just have to follow Boris's advice:
Pierre, just google "caspius Croatia", and you will find everything you need, published.

Not an easy way out of this...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 pm

keep quiet, just say like that without waiting for reply, only by mp OK ? I said that because I thought that the northern boundary was south montenegro... So I was wrong
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Boris Lauš » Tue May 15, 2012 7:24 pm

Oh guys, you were supposed to comment on Geralds exellent photos, and save this kind of discussion for some other threads ;)

But just a quick answer to this:
As a general rule, I would not answer this, at least not in a public forum, regardless of the fact that it is already "out there". There are other examples of papers giving specific coordinates for sites of threatened (sub)species and morphs of European herps, yet I would rather not be the one offering them on a silver platter on a public webpage.

So, I'm thinking there is a little bit of paranoia going on here ;) If we presume that all the herpetologists on this forum are trustworthy, there is no harm in pushing one in the right direction (google). Particulary one that was already a guest in our country with some of our herpetologists. And if one poacher is intelligent enough to come to this site and read all of our postings, then I guess one would also be intelligent enough to put the two key words in google as well. So, some precaution - yes, but let's not go overboard, please.

Back to the main topic, here are a few animals that escaped Geralds camera (while he was focused on P.siculus :D ):
P5060238.JPG

P5030672.JPG

P5020485.JPG

P5010451.JPG

P5010379.JPG
Boris Lauš

You can check some of my photos at : http://www.pticica.com/korisnici/Lynx
Boris Lauš

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 pm

yes staying in this thread !!
So nice pictures and chance...it's the third time I go in Croatia, and the third time I found only DOR of juvenile Elaphe quatuorlineata. This snake is so nice when it's young .. we saw one alive but too late, when we go back with the car (not possible to stop immediatly) the snake was freshly dead... :evil:
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula