ID frogs of Skadar Lake, Montenegro

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

ID frogs of Skadar Lake, Montenegro

Postby Guillaume Labeyrie » Mon May 28, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi everybody

I'm just back from a trip to the area of Skadar Lake, Montenegro. I'm far from being an expert, and I guess I could use some help to ID these Pelophylax sp. Thanks !!!

Pelophylax sp 1.jpg
Lots of these small brownish frogs in a flooded willow forest, where a stream blends into the lake.

Pelophylax sp 2.jpg

Pelophylax sp 3.jpg

Pelophylax sp 4.jpg
A juvenile, in the pools of the stream above the lake.
Guillaume Labeyrie

Hometown: valbonne

Re: ID frogs of Skadar Lake, Montenegro

Postby Kenny De Boeck » Mon May 28, 2012 9:09 pm

Pelophylax shqipericus ?
Kenny De Boeck

Hometown: Brussels

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 29, 2012 9:28 am

Hmmmm... I'm rather sure about nobody is able to tell, although the big round spots and yellow on hindlegs and thighs might point towards shqipericus in the first animal. Wouldn't bet anything on it, though. Body proportions and length of hind legs are hard to rely on in juveniles.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I am going there on Saturday and so I was hoping for a different answer to that :) . There may be a few more ID questions next week.
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Kevin Byrnes wrote:I am going there on Saturday and so I was hoping for a different answer to that :)

Nothing better than to sneak up to one while calling... Other than that, look for lessonae-ish animals. More details e.g. in here =>
http://www.amazon.de/Die-Amphibien-Euro ... 3440063402
(unfortunately never translated into English, as far as I know)

Kevin Byrnes wrote:I am going there on Saturday and so I was hoping for a different answer to that :) . There may be a few more ID questions next week.

Bring 'm on ! :D
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Kevin Byrnes » Tue May 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks Jeroen, I have a CD of frog and toad calls so will be taking that with me for reference.That looks a good book if one has a lot of cash and can speak German, which counts me out.
Kevin Byrnes

Hometown: Maesteg

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Kevin Byrnes wrote:Thanks Jeroen, I have a CD of frog and toad calls so will be taking that with me for reference.That looks a good book if one has a lot of cash and can speak German, which counts me out.

I know... Pitty, although it used to be A LOT cheaper :(
Strangely enough, has been translated in Dutch :roll:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 30, 2012 8:58 am

Isn't it sad that there are soooo many (good) German language herp books that never get a translation? The "Handbuch" series is the most strong example imho - what is supposed to be (and in fact is !) the ultimate reference for European herpetofauna, is so hard to read for anyone from France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, UK, ...

Luckily, I live in an area where TV doesn't do overdubs and where the small range of the language simply forces you to learn other languages. I'm very happy that I can read the "Handbuch" ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed May 30, 2012 9:32 am

The first and third seems to be Skutari frogs, because of "bright" yellow on flanks and hindlegs.
Wouldnt give to much on small or large blotches on dorsal side.
shqipericus looks, by body proportions, like lessonae - but not by color or markings.
The best thing is to hear them.
And one thing we observed, but isnt written in any book, as far as I know. Ridibundus is calling, floting on water surface, while shqipericus we observed allways roaring outside of the water, sitting on leafes of water lillies, etc.
Skutari frogs start roaring with a much smaller size (approx. 45 mm), rididundus with a minimum of 55 - 60 mm.
I was checking Günther R.: Die Wasserfrösche Europas - another book, available only in German ;)

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed May 30, 2012 9:39 am

Mario Schweiger wrote:And one thing we observed, but isnt written in any book, as far as I know. Ridibundus is calling, floting on water surface, while shqipericus we observed allways roaring outside of the water, sitting on leafes of water lillies, etc.

Interesting, Mario, as something similar has been described for epeiroticus vs. ridibundus/kurtmuelleri.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula