A Bulgarian Spring.

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

A Bulgarian Spring.

Postby Ray Hamilton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:06 pm

In Spring 2011 my wife and I spent some time in Bulgaria, just north of the beautiful town of Veliko Tarnovo (North Central Bulgaria).

The house we stayed in had a couple of acres of garden. In anticipation of the upcoming milder weather I placed out some corrugated metal sheets that had been in the barn. Although the weather was cold and snowy at first the temperatures eventually increased, and with it reptile activity. The Eastern Green Lizards (Lacerta viridis) that held territories around the stick piles and stacked roof tiles were soon showing off and became used to my looming presence. The insight into the comings and goings of the wildlife in a village garden in rural Bulgaria was fascinating.

March. For our arrival and sometime afterwards the garden and our village was no place for reptiles. The sun would show occasionally but the nights were very cold. Red Squirrels were fairly common along with Syrian, Green, Greater and Lesser-spotted Woodpecker, Hawfinch and Serin. A single Levant Sparrowhawk was a favourite early spot.

Our barn and the stick pile on the right of the path.

Snow in the lane outside.

Red Squirrel.

Tin shelters placed out.

During a brief sunny spell a first Lacerta viridis turned up during a walk to the local waterfall on 17th March. A week later three more individuals were spotted along the same route. By then juvenile Slow Worms (Anguis fragilis) had become the first reptiles to appear in the garden, under the tin shelters.

Early L.viridis

The first L.viridis turned up in the garden stick pile on the 25th March, three adults and a couple of brown juveniles. By then I was also noticing lizards along the verges and in the undergrowth around the village lanes.

Other wildlife activity at this time included hedgehogs in the garden and one morning at 3.15 a.m. my wife woke me to listen to European jackals calling somewhere nearby.

Agile Frogs (Rana dalmatina) began appearing around the village ponds and also Green Toads (Bufo viridis). During our stay both species appeared in the garden.

Ray Hamilton

Hometown: Bournemouth

Re: A Bulgarian Spring.

Postby Ray Hamilton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:24 pm

On the last day of the month a juvenile Aesculapian Snake (Zamenis longissimus) was found under one of the tin sheets.

One male Green Lizard soon began to hold top spot in the stick pile. With his stumpy tail he became easy to spot and was very tolerant of us moving about the garden, rarely giving up his sunny perch.

Eventually more lizards appeared in this section of the garden and soon the resident male was spending a large percentage of his time chasing off rival males. As the sun’s rays strengthened so the colours of the reptiles seemed to intensify, as did the rivalry.
The tin sheets continued to be productive with more Slow Worms, a second Aesculapian snake and on the 13th of April the first of several Smooth Snakes (Coronella austriaca).

It was also around the middle of April that Yellow-Bellied Toads (Bombina variegata) were found calling in a stream about a mile out of the village.

Bird sightings also became more frequent with White Storks finally returning to nest in the village. Hoopoe, Nightingale, Scops Owl, Cuckoo and Chiff-chaff were all singing somewhere close by. Trips on the bus into V.T. were rewarded with sightings of both Black and White Storks circling over the river Yantra.

On the 21st April we counted five adult L.viridis in the garden stick pile. The rivalry was intense and often the stumpy male would chase newcomers off the pile, running between our feet as he did so. One morning a new male – tail complete – was seen basking on top of the pile. In the grass near the barn was the body of the old male, finally defeated.

Ray Hamilton

Postby Ray Hamilton » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:52 pm

Lizards playground.

Garden rocks and tile stack.

Smooth snake basking in the garden wall.

At the start of May we hired a car for a few days from a local contact (“What do you mean no handbrake, why do you English always want handbrakes?”).
It gave us the chance to drive the three hour journey east to the Black Sea coast for a couple of days. Unfortunately the weather was unkind and the driving rain and cold meant reptile sightings were few and far between. A glimpsed Blotched Snake (Elaphe sauromates), calling Fire-bellied Toads (Bombina bombina) and a shivering Lacerta trilineata were our only rewards. The drive back also gave us our first ever view of European Souslik at the roadside.

Hanging on to the hire car for a couple of extra days gave us the chance to get out into the countryside around our village. Every night gave us some great views of Raccoon Dog, Jackal, Badgers and most excitingly of all an adult European Wildcat that stood in the road, blinking into the car headlights before slinking off into the undergrowth – just a few seconds but probably the highlight of the whole trip.

Common Treefrog - (Hyla arborea) and Sand Lizard - (Lacerta agilis) were spotted outside the village. Also Common Wall Lizards (Podarcis muralis) and Hermann’s Tortoise (Testudo hermanni) were found in the hills.

Tree Frog habitat.

Habitat of Hermann's Tortoise.

Back in the garden Golden Orioles appeared one morning and remained around the garden for the rest of our stay. Meanwhile the male lizards, now in bright breeding colours, continued to battle and mate in the garden stick piles. The number of changing characters made it impossible to keep tabs on which one was top of the pile.

I think three lizards in this shot.

At the end of May our stay drew to a close and we left Bulgaria to return to the UK. The friendship of the local people, beauty of the countryside and abundance of wildlife made Bulgaria a country we would like to return to again soon.

Morning sun on Veliko Tarnovo.
Ray Hamilton

Postby Mario Schweiger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 am

Nice collection of herps from a very local place!
I love the first pic of Rana dalmatina with the drops (waves) falling into the water.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:25 am

I love the the green lizard shots, beside one! and also the hermanni pics.

The pic of the thin shelters gave me a little adrenalin kick! ;)

Sorry but I hate the snow pics!!!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Peter Oefinger » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:22 am

Very good viridis observations. Seems to be a hard job, being the chief of a viridis gang...
I also like the basking juveniles.
Peter
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Sandra Panienka » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 am

Very cool trip report. I really love the viridis pics. Felt very sorry for the stumpy male, though. I only experienced a male viridis fight once and I found it pretty cool to watch, gladly no animal got insured.
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Bobby Bok » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:23 am

Must be great living there, really loved the viridis soap eventough the ending is a bit sad. All the in situ pictures are really great.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Carl Corbidge » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:52 am

Great report Ray cool that you found a lot of stuff in the garden wish we could do that in the UK. Any photos of the other mammals you saw?
Carl Corbidge

Hometown: Sheffield

Postby Thomas Bader » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Excellent stay in Bulgaria! I really like the juvenile Zamenis, with their intensive colours!
Thomas Bader

Hometown: Vienna

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula