frog eggs - species?

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

frog eggs - species?

Postby Tibor Sos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:34 am

dear all, I found several clutches of amphibian eggs, are you familiar with this type? the habitat (Suceava river) is the home of Bombina variegata. the eggs were found in the slow flowing part of the river...

Tibor Sos

Hometown: Rupea

Re: frog eggs - species?

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 am

Hi Tibor,

What I surely know is that these aren't Bombinatoridae eggs, neighter Bufonidae nor Pelobatidae !..So they are of some kind of a Ranidae eggs!..The white spots on the eggs make me think that they are of Rana dalmatina! They always deposite them in shallow water (less than 40 cm) but the size,compared to that coin looks very small! :? I'm puzzled,too! Anybody else?
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:56 am

These are NO Bombina eggs - much to many in one clutch!
I´m with Ilian - these are Ranidae eggs!
Which species occur there?
At this time of the year - although quite late - the should be Pelophylax eggs?

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Tibor Sos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:12 pm

the presence of Pelophylax ridibundus is almost sure. and from the brown Rana's I think could be Rana temporaria or R. dalmatina, although the most common is the R. temporaria. but we found metamorphosed R. temporaria in the area... and of course is to late for egg deposition for R. temporaria. the third species, the Rana arvalis is also present in the area, but I don't know were exactly... the place is interesting, the time and even the form of egg clutches. thus all aspects... or maybe is not amphibian?
Tibor Sos

Postby Tibor Sos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:16 pm

for better comparison the coin has 2,4 cm diameter...
Tibor Sos

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:01 pm

OK, I read some additional info and here's what I think: They are not R.temporaria nor R.dalmatina, because it's too late for them (I didn't know the photos are that recent!). It's late for Pelophylax,too and even if it wasn't the eggs are in very small numbers for this species! If the coin is 2,4 cm ,it means that the egg clumps are about 4-5 cm! The only frog with that small eggs is Hyla arborea! It's true they deposite them in small rounder clumps but these could've been disturbed by the current of the river! Also H.arborea eggs turn from brown to white when developing, and the most important thing :

"....Reproduction occurs from April - May, but sometimes in March, June or even late July. .... Clutch contains about 200-2000 eggs deposited in portions, usually having the form of small rounded clumps containing from 3 to 100 eggs."

Reference: http://amphibiaweb.org/cgi-bin/amphib_q ... es=arborea

So,I think 99 % - Hyla arborea!

Ilian
Ilian Velikov

Postby Tibor Sos » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm

another interesting pattern is that in the 3rd picture the clutches seems to belong to the same deposition (thus to the same female)... in the same trip I found a place near Moldova river close to the alpine bioregion with Hyla still involved in reproduction activity. I even saw the moment when the female lays it's eggs and the moment when they were attached to the plants... could be a Hyla, although I still not convinced...
Tibor Sos

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:57 pm

Well,according to the literature I've read no other amphibian reproduces that late in the year and those are definitely anura eggs! Besides, other things match Hyla, too...so, enough for me! Anyway, maybe there's someone with greater experience with amphibian eggs, who can help? Otherwise I don't see a way of determinating the eggs except DNA test...
Ilian Velikov

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:01 pm

I found this year a few Hyla arborea spwan. viewtopic.php?f=10&t=129
I`m pretty sure that those eggs in your pics are from Hyla arbora.
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Return to Balkan peninsula