Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Some pictures from the Cres-Lošinj archipelago

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon May 18, 2015 10:00 pm

I heard a big snake in the garriga habitat...

It’s me, Bero, “nitpicking again”, but may I say that, to my greatest surprise & pleasure, finally at least someone
distinguishes the garrigue from macchia, which is, of course, not the same thing at all, “technically” (as well as
scientifically!) – and uses the right term... Bravo, Ruggero, and just keep on like that, at least some of the “old &
old-style guys” will always acknowledge & support the precision of your observations and wording... Quality is (or
has been, or should be...) always respected. Period.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Mario Schweiger » Tue May 19, 2015 6:16 am

nice observations again!
The 2 full adult quatuorlineatas are males - visible just by coloration.

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 19, 2015 7:45 am

Another snake-rich addition to this season's postings, great stuff!
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ruggero M. » Tue May 19, 2015 10:33 am

Thanks Bero, Mario and Jeroen and "Ciao" :P to Francesco!

This one was a (dirty) female specimen! ;)
female.jpg
Elaphe quatuorlineata adult female
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:06 pm

I'm writing from Cres now: I've found a shelter where Malpolon male and female live together. I've seen how a third smaller male was "expelled" by the male of the shelter. The female is very shy, and does not come outside if it sees me. Very intelligent snakes the Malpolon, but very bad picture of the female till now! (later at home) :lol:
Ruggero M.

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:Very intelligent snakes the Malpolon, but very bad picture of the female till now! (later at home) :lol:

Yes, maybe "very intelligent", or maybe just leading a "surprisingly" (for us) complex life... But beware of your
estimate regarding the "very bad picture of the female till now", as the "politically correct" people (both male
and female) could "tear you to pieces" for a comment like that... We live in difficult times, my friend...
(Of course, only in case that what you really meant was your mental picture of her (behaviour), not just getting
a lousy photo of her up to now...) So? Which was it? Your "dirty" opinion or a lousy picture? Your skin is at stake...!
You'd better make yourself clear, before it's too late...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:37 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Ruggero Morimando wrote:Very intelligent snakes the Malpolon, but very bad picture of the female till now! (later at home) :lol:

Yes, maybe "very intelligent", or maybe just leading a "surprisingly" (for us) complex life... But beware of your
estimate regarding the "very bad picture of the female till now", as the "politically correct" people (both male
and female) could "tear you to pieces" for a comment like that... We live in difficult times, my friend...
(Of course, only in case that what you really meant was your mental picture of her (behaviour), not just getting
a lousy photo of her up to now...) So? Which was it? Your "dirty" opinion or a lousy picture? Your skin is at stake...!
You'd better make yourself clear, before it's too late...

Nobody in a sane mind gets what you are writing here.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Nobody in a sane mind gets what you are writing here.

Then, please, just read it once again, with "an open mind":
"... but very bad picture of the female till now! (later at home) :lol:"

Well, taken as it's written (and I'm no mind-reader, I just read what people write...), one could interpret that
in at least two ways (taking into account the preceding text as well)... which I did, and "humbly" asked which
one was the intended one. Do I have to explain that the word "picture" has many more meanings - in any human
language, by the way - than just a "photograph"...?
Does that make me insane? Or (just?!) having a "dirty" mind? Or, maybe, just attempting to make some fun? Is
the latter activity "forbidden" here? I remember some people here having taken much more liberty than that...
without being questioned about their "sanity"...
Maybe Ruggero himself will not get it so terribly "seriously", so let's just hear him ("later at home", as he said,
or whenever.)
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:12 pm

Where the Malpolon "family" was, yesterday in the late afternoon I could only observe a melanistic aesculapian snake. I suppose it was looking for prey, and it was the most peaceful aesculapian I ever met: I took it twice in my hands, and it continued its research, as it had been totally undisturbed, around half an hour long. I could also watch a Malpolon male looking for prey, and this morning I could take a picture of a huge gravid fourlinedsnake, spotted fortunately only because one male was moving nearby and attracted my attention.
Ruggero M.

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:12 pm

You seem to have wisely (?) refrained from answering my "impertinent" (or even "insane"...) question regarding the
"very bad picture of the female till now", that is, whether what you ment was her behaviour under the observed
circumstances, or just your failing to shoot a good enough photo of her... So, "have guts" and answer that, please.

... I could take a picture of a huge gravid fourlinedsnake, spotted fortunately only because one male was moving
nearby and attracted my attention.

This might "drive crazy" those guys who've never had the luck to see any E. quatuorlineata at all, much as they tried,
in the right places, under the right conditions, with all their knowledge and experience... No, the world/nature/God,
whichever, is just not fair... (An another interpretation: You received a sign from God, because you've deserved it...)
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula