Milos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Milos

Postby Daniel Kane » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:43 am

It's the same here in some places in the Lakes every Easter/May half-term/summer - rocks flipped and rubbish everywhere. I suppose this is easier for the people who just visit; rather than looking after the nature they travel to see, they can leave the mess for someone else to clear up when they have gone. Very short-sighted.
Daniel Kane

Hometown: London

Postby Thomas Reich » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:33 am

The same sad sight recently in Central Spain. In certain areas in the vicinity of Madrid lots of stones have obviously been flipped and not put back. :evil: I have seen the same on Sardinia,too... It seems as if this is the price when fieldherping comes more and more into vogue. Sometimes I wonder if this is just caused by ruthless poachers or if all these field trip reports and great pictures on the Internet induce rookies to go herping and try to find animals in unsuitable weather conditions at any price.
Thomas Reich

Hometown: Switzerland

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:52 am

It is obvious that Milos is receiving a lot of herper visitors. This surely is not a new phenomenon. More herpers than before? Maybe...

In the case of Milos, I'm not too sure about how harmful rock flipping may be. That is, as surplus disturbance in addition to the disturbance of scrutinizing the place. I'm (much) more concerned about the semi-feral goats progressively destroying the vegetation and producing dry and hot barren substrate. This has had devastating effects on Crete and seems imho (subjectively) an ongoing threat.

Matt Wilson wrote:At one site especially (Natura 2000...)

Most likely Matt is aware of this, but note that the entire western half of the island is a Natura2000/SAC site.

I think we have to admit that Thomas has a valid point. Maybe we should have a poll to see if we want to take down all our web reports and this forum ;) :cry:
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Aleksandar Simovic » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:56 am

On Ada and the rest of Montenegro there is also problem, with stones and trash,i don't understand why "herpers" can't put it back on the same position, i was very angry. :x I hope that I will never see such a situation, otherwise.......
Aleksandar Simovic

Hometown: Belgrade

Postby Matt Wilson » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:34 pm

The point I was trying to make was not that this will have a very negative effect on the herpetofauna but that it is not difficult to return rocks to their original positions. The points Jeroen mentions are far more damaging to the herpetofauna, it's a question of poor consideration for the habitat, animals and the individual's field practice in my humble opinion. I am also aware that the western half of the island is Natura 2000, but this site (you know where...) explicitly indicates that it is so (on panels).
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Postby Ilias Strachinis » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:05 pm

Andre Schmid wrote:By the way, I forgot to share my highlight of the trip…I guess I discovered a new species on the Island, I prefer the name Naja milensis, what do you think ?

Naja-milensis.jpg

;) ;) :D

Hmm you weren't the only one to discover new species on Milos. Greek biologists did find some too: https://www.facebook.com/apostolos.tric ... 4351008980 Mainly under rocks. Does anyone have any idea what is this all about?
And something else. Things in Greece are getting more strict lately (it was about time) and there is a good chance that a herper will be asked for permissions from the authorities when handling or relocating animals. I have already been asked twice during field work.
Ilias Strachinis

Hometown: Thessaloniki

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula