Around Bucharest

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Around Bucharest

Postby Vlad Cioflec » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:17 am

Dear friends,

My wife and i spent this weekend fieldherping and birding in some spots close to home. Saturday was cold and rainy, while sunday was sunny but windy.

First place we hit was a forest 20 kilometers north of our home, where some ill managed manholes turned into traps for all kinds of animals.

Habitat.JPG

Trap.JPG

Trap..JPG

From the first trap we rescued a Great Crested Newt, but it was raining too hard at the time, so no pic of that one, sorry.
Next we found lots of Marsh Frogs, some Agile Frogs and a couple of Fire-bellied Toads.

Rana dalmatina.JPG

Can you spot it?!
Bombina bombina.JPG

Walking around we encountered Sand Lizards (DOR), and juveniles Eastern Green Lizards.

Lacerta viridis.JPG

Around noon Corina found a great treat for the cold and tiered fieldherpers:

Yummmm.JPG

Moving on to the snakes. :D First, a juvenile Grass Snake:

Natrix natrix.JPG

And last, the catch of the day, a baby Smooth Snake that was flipped under some debris. Man i love to flip stuff! :mrgreen:

Coronella austriaca.JPG

The only interesting bird spotted here was a Lesser Spotted Eagle. No photo of that, but here is some fungus instead. ;)

Fungus.JPG

Next day, we drove about 40 km south, to protected area that includes some forests and marshes. As expected, we saw Grass Snakes, Marsh Frogs, Agile Frogs and Eastern Green Lizards. The only cool things we flipped were an Aesculapian Snake`s skin and a small light coloured shrew. ;) Walking around we encountered Brown Hare, Roe Deer, Wild Boar, Wood Mouse and Common Vole. Not bad. ;)

Caterpillar.JPG

But the nicest animal was spotted just when we were about to call it a day and return to the car. Out of the blue, one of the coolest european raptors appeared and allowed us to witness an amazing areal show for about 15 minutes. It was the Osprey! A lifer that i dreamed about since i can remember. :D

We like to think that it was nature`s reward for our good deeds. :)

Happy herping!
Vlad Cioflec

Hometown: Bucharest

Re: Around Bucharest

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:20 am

Looks like you had a very good weekend!!!!
The Bombina pic is a cool work, I needed time to find it!!!
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 pm

Yes, I too :lol: :lol:
I looked at it in full size, allways searching on and between the rocks.
Than I gave up! :x
When I returned to normal size, to read and look your report further on, I saw it :P
Giant sized and completely free!

Good idea, Vlad! :lol:

Mario
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Ilian Velikov » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:41 am

Very bice,Vlad! I like that tricky Bombina shot! I was puzzled,too! Congratulations on the wildlife observed and especially that Osprey!
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Return to Balkan peninsula