1 week Croatia in the early spring

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: 1 week Croatia in the early spring

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:29 pm

Niklas Ban wrote:If there is someone who is still interested.. the pictures were saved and here is the result:
http://www.duesselherps.de/exkursionen/ ... tien-2015/

OF COURSE everybody has been still interested, and we're as happy as you are that your memory card
was "resurrected" after all. Excellent pictures and an excellent report. More could not have been done,
under the circumstances. As you said yourself, "Wir hatten wohl mehr Glück als Verstand..." (We actually
had more luck than understanding/reason...) I fully agree, and that's what I could only have hoped for...
Luckilly for you, it worked - of course, only up to a point, as the British would say (pflegen zu sagen?)...
Well, next time you just come here a month later, then we'll go together, life circumstances permitting.
Guys like you are always welcome.

BTW, what's the genuine German translation of "up to a point"? But please, don't consult Langenscheidt's,
as they allways have a translation of everything... "in Grenzen", "bis zu einem gewissen Grad", "bis zu
einem gewissen Punkt", ... How do the native speakers of German really say?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:BTW, what's the genuine German translation of "up to a point"? But please, don't consult Langenscheidt's,
as they allways have a translation of everything... "in Grenzen", "bis zu einem gewissen Grad", "bis zu
einem gewissen Punkt", ... How do the native speakers of German really say?

depends, how you use it (so Langenscheidt is right). Here I would say: "bis zu einem gewissen Grad"
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:05 pm

Michael Glass wrote:Not sure if this helps you Bero. ;)

It does, linguistically, but it's a different "register" of any (!) language, dealing with subtle nuances...
What I simply wanted to say is that they had more luck than could have been expected, under the
circumstances, but even luck has its limits... Just plainly so.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Niklas Ban » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Michael Glass wrote:Not sure if this helps you Bero. ;)

It does, but it's a different register of a language, dealing with nuances.
I just wanted to say that they had more luck than could have been expected,
under the circumstances, but even luck has its limits. Just plainly so.

I think this is on point, we worked much and had much of luck.. Thank you all for your comments!
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:45 pm

"Wir waren mit den Ergebnissen bis zu einem gewissen Grad zufrieden." (Up to a point,
we were pleased with the trips outcome.) -> Tone is more so so, not overly happy.

After all, they left for home - as Niclas said in his report - with smiles on their faces, which is the
most important thing of all
. (Eventually they did find the black adders - almost against all odds...)
Especially for me, who had some "pangs of conscience" for not having helped more, but never mind,
almost everything ("up to a point"!) went better than could have been expected. And, of course, as
Niclas says, "we worked much and had much of luck..." Yes, they certainly did work much, no doubt.
Especially that "crazy" idea with climbing up the Mala Paklenica "canyon", and then back through the
Velika Paklenica one - I wouldn't have attempted that, in one day, even at my much younger age...
I believe them they slept "like dead" after that excursion ...
Well, see you next time, guys, under more favourable circumstances. Roger & out.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:25 pm

Michael Glass wrote:Bero, I understood what you wanted to say, so I tried to point out that a direct translation
of the words to German might not have the intended tone. ;)

Of course, in ANY translation, and that's why I had asked/invited the native speakers (of German, in this instance) to speak
for themselves... I've just (mis)used this opportunty to learn something... Pardon my misuse, and thanks. Roger & out.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Michael Glass wrote:Not sure if you got me wrong, it was a pleasure to help out. I was just unsure whether you've read my post
as nitpicking/nagging since Mario already confirmed the direct translation.

No, no, on the contrary, I've already learned that you are prone to nitpicking/nagging as much as I am, but
I always do appreciate sound linguistic advices from a native speaker of a language I'd like to learn better.
(German, in this particular case.) After all, that's what I asked for, didn't I...?
BTW, in the jargon (sociolect) of pilots & astronauts, "ROGER" = understand, "OUT" = quit (the conversation).
Berislav Horvatic

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula