Saranda,Albania,June 10,2013

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Saranda,Albania,June 10,2013

Postby Edmond Themeli » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:37 pm

Berislav,i was talking about Leopard snakes in fact.They can't be found in Korca,but Permet,Gjirokastra,Saranda,cities in the South.
Edmond Themeli

Hometown: Korca

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:03 pm

It's relatively old, but just in case some of you never saw it before...
http://vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-1698.pdf
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:48 pm

Edmond Themeli wrote:Berislav, i was talking about Leopard snakes in fact. They can't be found in Korca
but Permet,Gjirokastra,Saranda,cities in the South.

But what about the whole coastal region of Albania? I would say they "should" be present all along,
be it easily accessible to you or not... So, once again, why "SOUTH"?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Edmond Themeli » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:39 pm

There are great places everywhere but unfortunately i haven't explored even half of them,for many reasons.
Edmond Themeli

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:36 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Edmond Themeli wrote:Berislav, i was talking about Leopard snakes in fact. They can't be found in Korca

But what about the whole coastal region of Albania? I would say they "should" be present all along,

Bero, have you looked at the link I posted?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Ruggero M. » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:47 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:

Bero, have you looked at the link I posted?

I've understood the question of Bero, and I think I've found the right answer! :)

If you see the road map of Albania...
corca.jpg

...you will see that Korca (Coriza) is inside in the middle of Albania. Leopard snakes are present along all the balkan adriatic coast south to Crikveniza (Croatia), so from Korca you can reach leopard snakes areas travelling west-northwest, west or south in the same way... But! The fastest road, and probably the only main road (at least watching Google Earth map) goes to the south, in the direction of Saranda.... 5 hours away from Korca! :ugeek: :lol:
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Edmond Themeli » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:04 am

That's what i was trying to explain from the beginning.All these awesome snakes like situla,quatuorlineata,najadum,monspessulanus...etc you can't find in Korca because it's cold.
Edmond Themeli

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:59 am

Edmond Themeli wrote:That's what i was trying to explain from the beginning. All these awesome snakes like situla,
quatuorlineata, najadum, monspessulanus...etc you can't find in Korca because it's cold.

Of course. I've had a look at the relevant parameters (position, altitude, climate,...)

@ Jeroen: My question was totally trivial & purely technical- why going SOUTH of Korçë, if it's already in
the SOUTH of Albania, and quite so? OK, a trivial question gets a trivial answer: because it's THE EASIEST
way to reach the coast - ANY coast - from Korçë. Nothing more & nothing less than that. Has nothing to do
with the distribution of Zamenis situla (or any other truly Mediterranean species) ALONG that coast. So,
roger & out, regarding that issue.

@Ruggero:
Leopard snakes are present along all the balkan adriatic coast south to Crikveniza (Croatia), ...
Well, maybe the northern boundary of the areal is just "a little bit" more to the north, the Istria peninsula
is still questionable... And, as any FIELDworker knows, this "little bit" might be quite huge when you are
in the field, instead on satellite images... Some 50 kilometers away might prove quite a different world,
in vivo, ... or maybe not. But one has to find out, on foot.
A trivial example: the northern outskirts of Zagreb are the realm of V. ammodytes. If you go some 20 km
to the south, you encounter a realm of V. berus bosniensis... (and no vammos, of course.)
(Once, in a TV release, I described that with the words "Zagreb is sandwiched between V. ammodytes
and V. berus..." Of course I said a lot more than that, explaining everything, but you can easily imagine
what was (mis)used to advertize the release... and what was cut out by the editors...)
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula