August 2014,Korca,Albania

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

August 2014,Korca,Albania

Postby Edmond Themeli » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Bufo bufo

Vipera Ammodytes

Lacerta Trilineata

dolichophis caspius

Natrix Tessellata

Natrix natrix persa ?!!

Edmond Themeli

Hometown: Korca

Re: August 2014,Korca,Albania

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon May 04, 2015 12:10 am

Great photos. Albania is a place from which we rarely see stuff here so it's very interesting to read your posts. That Lacerta viridis is actually trilineata by the way.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Edmond Themeli » Mon May 04, 2015 12:59 am

Thank you very much and i know i am not that good about lizards names but i am learning ;)
Edmond Themeli

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon May 04, 2015 1:16 pm

Hi Edmond! "Bufo bufo" is written correctly, while the other latin specific names (i.e. D.caspius) must be written with small initial letter! ;)

How big was the biggest D.caspius you have ever seen?
In Greece I've seen only one rather big specimen (probably 150 cm long or even something above this length), being all the others between 1 meter and 1,5 meter, which means big, but not "huge" colubrids...
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Edmond Themeli » Mon May 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Thank you.i'll fix those little mistakes.The biggest caspius i ever seen was a monster 220 cm that i caught when i was a teenager.Unfortunately i have no photos of that snake and i feel bad now but i was a kid back then and never thought a photo might be important some day.I have found too many last years and 150 cm were their size but some were longer than that.I have a photo which i will post here, it's bad quality but enough to show you how long this snake is.

Edmond Themeli

Postby Ruggero M. » Mon May 04, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks Edmond!

I also have missed very interesting pictures during my "herp career"... :(
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Edmond Themeli » Mon May 04, 2015 5:15 pm

I know that feeling.Back in the day i used to find more snakes but with the people building houses and occupying lands snakes reptiles seem to find other habitats or getting killed,also roadkill etc.It's sad but what can you do ?!
Edmond Themeli

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 12:01 am

I'm sure we all envy you regarding your local (?) vammos, as in most other parts of their areal one has to do a lot
of "work" to encounter such colourful specimens... So, may I repeat my question already posted somewhere here:
Are beasts like that more-or-less a norm (at least locally), or you're just showing us the most interesting ones you
have chanced to find?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Edmond Themeli » Fri May 08, 2015 10:17 am

All the above pictures are taken at the same habitat which is the area that lies between 2 villages,and yes all these species are very common there even caspian whipsnakes are become a bit harder to find for some reason.Vipers are more spread and you can find lots of natrix tessellata in a stream that comes from the mountains.It was very rich with reptiles and amphibians let's say 10 years ago but still is a good place for herping.
Edmond Themeli

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Edmond Themeli wrote:All the above pictures are taken at the same habitat which is the area that lies between 2 villages,
and yes all these species are very common there.

Never mind "all the species", my question regarded the extremely colourful Vipera ammodytes individuals - are THEY
rather a "norm" there (at least locally), or you're just showing us the most interesting ones you have chanced to find?
It's a very simple and direct question, so, what can you reasonably say about that?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula