Croatia April/May 2013 Trip Report

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Croatia April/May 2013 Trip Report

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu May 14, 2015 4:31 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Bufo spinosus does not occur in SE Europe.

??!!

First you babble about subtlety in language and then you fire this Shakespearian "sentence"!?

On topic, as a regular forum visitor, you are embarrassing yourself, because this has already been discussed here on multiple occasions.
http://vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-6368.pdf.
:P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted:

(( BTW, I bet your language wizard writer examples would shiver at your use of CAPITALS, bold face, enlarged font size and coloured text - as unsubtle and ugly as anyone's use of smilies. On the other hand, you will be happy to learn that I used the preview button to make sure this mess looks as messy as possible. :P :P :P :P ))

Yet, once more, apologies for the silliness - it's raining, so I'm off to the woods.

I really shouldn't drink before 6.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu May 14, 2015 8:13 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:First you babble about subtlety in language and then you fire this Shakespearian "sentence"!?
On topic, as a regular forum visitor, you are embarrassing yourself,... & c.
I bet your language wizard writer examples would shiver at your use of CAPITALS, bold face,
enlarged font size and coloured text - as unsubtle and ugly as anyone's use of smilies.

My dear friend, shouldnt' one quite rightfully expect of you - as an administrator here, at least - to
publicly react with somewhat more restraint, more ballance, more goodwill, and less bitterness?

...because this has already been discussed here on multiple occasions.
http://vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-6368.pdf.
:P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted: :P :twisted:

Sorry, I simply forgot. Or maybe I just haven't taken it so much to my heart - I'm not in frogs, but vipers. It was
Bufo bufo spinosus for many years, for everybody, even for our top admin Mario... And there are other (rather
recent) publications that say otherwise... The article you cite is maybe the most recent one, maybe even the
"final" one, but it's not the word of g/God. Certainly not a reason for calling anyone who has simply forgotten it,
or not have read it at all, as one "embarrassing" him/herself in this forum. Lower your artillery, please, you're
shooting at a sparrow...

Yet, once more, apologies for the silliness - it's raining, so I'm off to the woods.
I really shouldn't drink before 6.

Peace (not piss) on you, my friend.
P. S.
I refrained from any boldfaces, capitalization, large font sizes, font colours, ... and emoticons as well. Hope it works.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 15, 2015 8:42 am

PM sent.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 15, 2015 3:08 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:PM sent.

Hopefully not a "Parliament Member", I would hardly stand anything like that at the moment...
BTW, in Croatian (and Serbian & Bosnian & Montenegrin as well), PM is an abbreviation for a
quite heavy and offensive curse, but I don't suppose it could be that either...

No, it wasn't either. Just Jeroen. We had a nice talk in private, without burdening this forum
with our narcissistic escapades. Thanks to him - it was his idea. A prudent one, may I say.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 15, 2015 3:14 pm

I feel like I should make up to the OP for derailing this post...

I think Peter meant the lizard with the orange underside? I also think it is melisellensis. Mario, don't you agree?
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 15, 2015 3:36 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I think Peter meant the lizard with the orange underside?
I also think it is melisellensis. Mario, don't you agree?

Mario said that all the names in that report were OK. Peter and I meant the same lizard and had the same doubts,
see the above postings.
As for Mario, at the moment he's on the island of Krk, fieldherping, so one might have to wait for him to say his
final verdict.
Or maybe just ask Werner Mayer, he knows best.

BTW, what's "OP"?
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Well, siculus 'never' has an orange belly so the sensible guess is that Mario overlooked this mistake. We'll find out when he gets back, no rush & no need to ask Werner because it's pretty obvious.

OP is forum lingo for "original poster".
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 15, 2015 5:20 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Well, siculus 'never' has an orange belly so the sensible guess is that Mario overlooked this mistake.

Yes, they do, and it's even a "race", or whatever one might or should call it... I've seen them with my own eyes, and
Werner has a "theory" (or at least quite a "strong assumption") about that issue, so don't say "never" too soon.
And mind you, Mario is extremely "sesitive" to the meli-siculus thing, he usually jumps as a lion whenever he sees a
wrong (?) determination regarding a case like that, so...

We'll find out when he gets back, no rush & no need to ask Werner because it's pretty obvious.

What is so "pretty obvious", a meli or an orange-bellied siculus? I would also say it is a meli, albeit somewhat reluctantly,
but orange-bellied siculi just do exist...

OP is forum lingo for "original poster".

Thanks. That would be me, I guess? But I don't see any reason for "derailing" this post(ing) of mine myself.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 pm

OP = the one who posted the first contribution in this thread = not you.

Are there orange-bellied siculus on the mainland?

Looking back on what Mario wrote before about the % of blue outer ventrals and the width of the dark dorsolateral, I have to admit this all says siculus, so I'll anxiously wait what he has to say when he gets back. I just thought it had to be siculus because of the narrow vertebral and the orange underside, but I'm happy to learn. To be continued.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Fri May 15, 2015 7:46 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Are there orange-bellied siculus on the mainland?

I don't know. Istria, if I remember well, the Island of Krk (seen with my own eyes) - ask Werner, it's his stuff, his observation,
his "theory"... In any case, siculus normally doesn't live on the mainland, except in Zagreb (a large and successful colony)...
Looking back on what Mario wrote before about the % of blue outer ventrals and the width of the dark dorsolateral, ...

It's Werner's "private" meli-siculus key, he gave it to me 10 years ago, and I gave it further to anybody who was interested.
Probably even Mario got it from me, not him. But it doesn't matter, it's Werner's child.
... I have to admit this all says siculus, so I'll anxiously wait what he has to say when he gets back.

Me too (regarding waiting). But regarding what it all says, i'm still "undecided".
I just thought it had to be siculus because of the narrow vertebral and the orange underside,

May I use "?!", without boldface and large-size font? The narrow vertebral and the orange underside would "normally" point
to an "average" meli, not siculus... as you said yourself some time ago:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I think Peter meant the lizard with the orange underside? I also think it is melisellensis. Mario, don't you agree?

What the hell?!
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula