Tips for herping in Transylvania

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Tips for herping in Transylvania

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Fri May 15, 2015 10:03 am

Hi,

This summer (July) I will be in Romania, around Brasov, and will have some days free to go herping. I could already read with great interest reports here and there (by Jeroen, Alexandre, etc.) and am looking for additional tips for places that would be relevant according to you (I will have a car). My first targets are snakes, and vipers in particular (but I am not monomaniac). I dream to find a Vipera ursinii rakosiensis in the wild, but guess that no one has (or can communicate) more info about the exact place around Apuseni Mt (a good contact would be really appreciated though).

Thanks in advance for your advices (here or in PM), and if I don´t have any feedback I will just drive randomly and hope for the best ;)

See you,

Guillaume
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Re: Tips for herping in Transylvania

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Fri May 15, 2015 1:02 pm

Ioan Ghira would be the man to ask about rakosiensis, but like you, I suspect it will not help & he will not take you there. Maybe that's a good thing...

On the other hand, perhaps going up and down into moldavica territory is not impossible if you have 2 consecutive days to spare...
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:41 pm

I have the same request as Guillaume. Contrary to him I'm focused on tailed amphibians but I would like to find V. berus and other reptiles and amphibians as well. In few hours I'm starting with the journey.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Alexandre Roux » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:09 am

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Ioan Ghira would be the man to ask about rakosiensis, but like you, I suspect it will not help & he will not take you there. Maybe that's a good thing...

He was very good help for me while looking for V.ammodytes around Deva so I think you can try to ask for some spots. Maybe he won't give you anything about V.ursinii but he may give you some spots for great herps all around.

I would recommand you to take some time to go to Portile de Fier but that might be too far for you ;)
Alexandre Roux
Flickr Gallery
Alexandre Roux

Hometown: Beynost

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:54 pm

At what temperatures S. salamandra is active? It is only 6*C here now.
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Return to Balkan peninsula