Kalymnos and Kos May 2015

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Kalymnos and Kos May 2015

Postby Bobby Bok » Sat May 16, 2015 11:01 pm

Great trip with great finds Bert, as so many others already pointed out here, the black najadum is a stunner but also the Zamenis, Eryx, Eirenis etc. are great! The Greek islands are herpers paradise.
Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Laura Bok » Sat May 16, 2015 11:42 pm

Hey Bert,

nice to read you had such good holidays! I hope you can still hear how great this black Platyceps najadum is, because I have to say it once again...very special, and I believe that seeing those is already worth a trip to the island.
Congratulations for catching that huge Dolichophis jugularis! I know how fast they can be - during Bobby´s and my Turkey trip, a big, beautiful, and stunningly red Dolichophis schmidti escaped into a stone wall - surely the biggest miss of the trip...

Thanks for sharing and cheers,
Laura
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Michael Wilms » Sat May 16, 2015 11:55 pm

Great findings and stunning pictures!
I'm really excited of the beautiful Zamenis situla and the black Platyceps najadum.
And I also like the Eryx jaculus. They look so indulgent.

Looks like you had a great trip with your "team"! :D
Michael Wilms

Hometown: Pirmasens-Gersbach

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Sun May 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Awesome!!
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Christoph Stenger » Sun May 17, 2015 1:54 pm

Looks like you guys did have some real fun! Great finds and pix! Thank you.
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Sun May 17, 2015 5:34 pm

Outstanding! I'm not one of the "black rocks" team, but these najadum are very distinctive and good-looking! That leopard is also a pretty specimen. You did very well! Must be thanks to the Malayan foreplay ;)
Also always great to see the kids at it, excellent parenting :)

Edmond Themeli wrote:black caspius

Not caspius, Edmond, but jugularis. They used to be the same species a while back.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Mon May 18, 2015 9:02 pm

Thanks for your comments!

its weird how with just one week between us how we found different things, we did quite well for Dahl's on Kos but on Kalymnos we maybe saw one (couldn't be certain) but again did quite well with Caspian

I was also surprised I didn't see more Caspian Whips on my trip after seeing your blog. I have to say, that I had the feeling snake activity was quite low. For almost all my finds I had to get up really early or dig them up under stones. I didn't see a single DOR, which is odd because on Kos there is enough traffic around. In Corfu last year around the same period I saw several DOR malpolons...

Laura Tiemann wrote:Hey Bert,

nice to read you had such good holidays! I hope you can still hear how great this black Platyceps najadum is, because I have to say it once again...very special, and I believe that seeing those is already worth a trip to the island.
Congratulations for catching that huge Dolichophis jugularis! I know how fast they can be - during Bobby´s and my Turkey trip, a big, beautiful, and stunningly red Dolichophis schmidti escaped into a stone wall - surely the biggest miss of the trip...

Thanks for sharing and cheers,
Laura

You know I'm a big Platyceps lover, so yes the trip was already a succes after two days :) They must be very special because I had expected that mr. Speybroeck would have called them "some ugly black bicycle tires" ;)
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Tue May 19, 2015 7:37 am

Bert Vandebosch wrote:They must be very special because I had expected that mr. Speybroeck would have called them "some ugly black bicycle tires" ;)

Hèhè... Surely even I, Bertje, can tell that there's more to them than to Hierocarbo, as najadum surely is in my euro colubrid top 5 too.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula