Kos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Kos

Postby Andre Schmid » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks for contributing the pictures of the "phantom", Peter ! :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:42 pm

Finally.
That was the proof I was looking for. Thank you very much.
Don't hesitate to share some more from those other trips, both from Europe and SE Asia ;)
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:42 am

Bert Vandebosch wrote:already in 2006, Matt Wilson and also some Dutch people described both species of Dolichophis for Kos for the first time. This year Matt and Carl confirmed it again. In Kalymnos only caspius has been found so far... I saw one caspius on Kalymnos this year.
There are probably a lot of things we can still discover on that island. Hemorrhois nummifer is by my knowledge only known from a specimen that was first wrongly determined as a young Elaphe quatorlineata long time ago. Trachylepis aurata is so called known from one museum specimen, collected maybe 100 years ago. Pelobates needs a bit more confirmation. Eirenis might be present, etc....

mea culpa!
both Dolichophis species are reported from Kos allready by Cattaneo in 2005:
Author: Cattaneo, A.
Year of publication: 2005
Title: OBSERVATIONS ON THE HERPETOFAUNA OF THE GREEK ISLAND OF KOS (SOUTHERN SPORADES) WITH AN UNPUBLISHED CASE OF MICRO-INSULAR SYMPATRY OF TWO CLOSELY RELATED COLUBRIDAE SPECIES: HIEROPHIS CASPIUS (GMELIN) AND HIEROPHIS JUGULARIS (L.)
Journal: Atti Mus. Stor. nat. Maremma, 21: 79-91
Abstract: Observations on the herpetofauna of the greek island of Kos are reported in the present paper. The presence of Hierophis caspius is reported and an hypothesis is presented on the spatial and trophic divergence between this species and closely related Hierophis jugularis. On Kos, the population of the last species does not seem to present young/adult dichromatism and the main ventral colour stays red at all ages; the typical “asianus” phenotype thus was not found on the island. Both H. caspius and H. jugularis specimens caught showed the habit of swallowing parts of the nests of the rodents preyed upon. H. jugularis was observed following the perimeter of man-made structures (low walls, fences or man-made paths) to fi nd a mating partner. The presence of Bufo bufo on the island is reported and the local population of Lacerta trilineata is attributed to the cariensis Peters subspecies. This big lizard as well as Pseudopus apodus are both rare on Kos and thus should be ecologically compatible.
PDF size in KB: 289
PDF to download: http://www.vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-3837.pdf

Trachylepis aurata is reported by Clark, 1972 (sorry, dont have the paper yet, but it is on the way :) )
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Mario Schweiger » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:59 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:Trachylepis aurata is reported by Clark, 1972 (sorry, dont have the paper yet, but it is on the way :) )

I hate wrong citations :x
I've got now the Clark 1972 paper (thanks to David Bird :D , will upload it to the DB later), but nothing on Kos island (not even mentioned in that paper).
Recorded only for Symi island.
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Michael Wilms » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:38 pm

Very nice pictures and a good and interesting trip report, Andre! :D
I really enjoyed it!

Looks like you had a good and successful trip (although you did not find a Zamenis situla and a Montivipera xanthina)!
Michael Wilms

Hometown: Pirmasens-Gersbach

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula