Kos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Kos

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:07 am

Yesterday I come back from our Holidays on Kos. My main goal was to find a ottoman viper on the island...but I failed. This was not my only fault...I had a black Platyceps in my hands and lost it ( :oops: :evil: :roll: )....at a one day trip to Kalymnos, so no second chance :|

But it was a nice trip with some new species for me and we ( I and my girlfriend) had a nice time with great greek food on a sunny island :)

Here some pictures:

Take a look at my homepage (only in german language) for the full report:

http://www.viperas.de/Kos15.html

I hope you like it :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Re: Kos

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:22 am

Good report, Andre!
Your Mantis is Empusa frenata.
The Green toads on that islands are Bufotes variabilis (if you accept this splitting).
Very interesting, but not clear for me, is your Dolichophis caspius. From Kos (only jugularis is known?) or Kalymnos?
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks!

Mario Schweiger wrote:Good report, Andre!
The Green toads on that islands are Bufotes variabilis (if you accept this splitting).

Thanks for the infos...than another new species for me :lol:

Mario Schweiger wrote:Very interesting, but not clear for me, is your Dolichophis caspius. From Kos (only jugularis is known?) or Kalymnos?

As far as I know Kos is known for both Dolichophis species, caspius and jugularis (but I´m no expert) ? Found this "caspius" in Kos near Tigkaki. Thes specimen nearly has 1,4 m...all other Dolichophis this size I saw (most DOR´s) were totally black like typical jugularis....also the 2 youngsters I found are turning black with maybe 50 -60cm:

Andre Schmid

Postby Maykel van Gent » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:Good report, Andre!

Empusa fasciata, I think. Never heard of frenata.
Nice close up of the ?robberfly?
that butterfly like thing in your report is very cool. When you see it fly, it is so clumsy, yet elegant and adorable. They are Nemoptera sinuata.

Cool pictures :). And greek food is very good!
Maykel van Gent

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:27 pm

Maykel van Gent wrote:Empusa fasciata, I think. Never heard of frenata.

Thanks! Dont know, why i always say or write frenata :oops:
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Neil Rowntree » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:19 pm

Nice report, some cool species.

Andre Schmid wrote:I had a black Platyceps in my hands and lost it

That's half the fun isn't it? Stressing about the one(s) that got away...!
http://northumberlandexplorer.weebly.com/
Neil Rowntree

Hometown: Newcastle

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Andre Schmid wrote:Yesterday I come back from our Holidays on Kos. My main goal was to find a ottoman viper on the island...but I failed. This was not my only fault...I had a black Platyceps in my hands and lost it ( :oops: :evil: :roll: )....at a one day trip to Kalymnos, so no second chance :|
I think I don't have to look at your other pictures, no viper = not worth to look at.. :twisted:

Apart from the nice herppictures, the owl and the insects are great! Good job :)
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Bert Vandebosch » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:16 pm

I had a black Platyceps in my hands and lost it ( :oops: :evil: :roll: )....at a one day trip to Kalymnos, so no second chance :|

Ai Ai Ai you should have stayed longer, the island is worth it!
Nevertheless a very nice report and beautiful pictures!

Very interesting, but not clear for me, is your Dolichophis caspius. From Kos (only jugularis is known?) or Kalymnos?

already in 2006, Matt Wilson and also some Dutch people described both species of Dolichophis for Kos for the first time. This year Matt and Carl confirmed it again. In Kalymnos only caspius has been found so far... I saw one caspius on Kalymnos this year.

What is more ambitious, is trying to find vipers on Kos. Schneider reports one specimen from Kalymnos in 1983 (PDF-144 in the database)
But I couldn't find any reliable records for Montivipera on Kos:
Chondropoulos lists in his checklist (PDF-1742) the following reference: (NILSON & ANDREN 1986; AD obs., outskirts of Kos town/4.8.87)
Please help me out: what does that "AD" mean? Additional data? Autor data? so obs. from Chondropoulos himself?
If you check the NILSON paper (PDF-7536): on figure 31, Kos is pointed out for a locality data but in the text it actually gives the reference: Grillitsch &Tiedemann (PDF-3128).
They state in the same year 1986: "Auf Grund mangelhafter faunistischer Kenntnis über dieses Gebiet sind trotz der bisher erfolglos verlaufenen Versuche, die Bergotter auf Kos und Rhodos aufzufinden, noch weitere Neumeldungen dieser Viper für dem asiatischen Festland unmittelbar vorgelagerte Inseln
zu erwarten."
So actually nobody ever really found them there?

Still Andre, I love it, you made it your main goal to find them on Kos!!!

There are probably a lot of things we can still discover on that island. Hemorrhois nummifer is by my knowledge only known from a specimen that was first wrongly determined as a young Elaphe quatorlineata long time ago. Trachylepis aurata is so called known from one museum specimen, collected maybe 100 years ago. Pelobates needs a bit more confirmation. Eirenis might be present, etc....
Bert Vandebosch

Hometown: Assent

Postby Andre Schmid » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:11 pm

Bert Vandebosch wrote:
So actually nobody ever really found them there?

A german fieldherper told me that he saw two xanthinas many years ago (8-10years) on Kos island, one DOR and one alive in a stone wall between fields. His dates were also published in a dissertation "Phylogenie und Phylogeographie eurasischer Viperinae unter besonderer Berücksichtigung der orientalischen Vipern der Gattungen Montivipera und Macrovipera" from (now I guess) Dr. N. Stümpel.:

http://digisrv-1.biblio.etc.tu-bs.de:80 ... B60EB1AB73
Andre Schmid

Postby Peter van Issem » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:49 pm

Hi,

ok folks, the ,german Fieldherper´is me. I was some times on Kos and Samos islands. On Kos in 2002 (two times), and 2003. We found a lot of the species there, but unfortunely a lot of DOR. H. jugularis we found only one dead speciemen. An adult with very bloodred belly. Never seen such an beautifull speciemen like this. An adult +/- 150 cm D. caspicus also only as an DOR between some fields in the Kos town area. But the target was the Ottoman Viper Montivipera xanthina. The first trip bring nothing but the 2nd was good for an live specimen. An adult 100 cm male. Typical coloration and patter for the ,nothern form, of xnthina. In 2003 we found the 2nd one. Again a DOR on an sandy way in the same area we spoted the first one. I have now scanned the slides. Not the best quality but better than nothing to show up the ,,Phantom``. After this I was never there. All trips was to other locations in Europe or SE Asia.

V.xanthina-Kos2.jpg
1,0 M. xanthina, Kos Greece , 2002

V.xanthina-Kos-tot.jpg
V.xanthina-Kos-tot.jpg (92.66 KiB) Viewed 11432 times
Peter van Issem

Hometown: Cologne

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula