Naxos

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Naxos

Postby Andre Schmid » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:10 pm

Thanks for th pictures Mario ! Exactly what I want to find :mrgreen:
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:49 pm

10 years ago I´ve been to Naxos which left me a pretty good impression although the island was indeed quite touristic (again, it was in summer). Much more interesting to me was the visit to Amorgos easily reachable by boat from Naxos. This island is much wilder and also has some interesting snakes to offer (-stripeless- E.quatuorlineata, E. jaculus).

Some info at:
http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/HER_20_1_2_0094-0096.pdf
http://www.jstor.org/stable/1441914?seq ... b_contents

P.S: As far as I know, there should not be any ammo on Amorgos (see e.g.: http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/ANNA_52_0161-0163.pdf)
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:47 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:As far as I know, there should not be any ammo on Amorgos (see e.g.: http://www.zobodat.at/pdf/ANNA_52_0161-0163.pdf)

Indeed. These are the Cyclades with ammodytes: Andros, Dilos, Epano, Ios, Iraklia, Koufinisi, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Antiparos, Sikinos, Stroggylo, Syros, Tinos. If not, let me know asap, because the curtain will drop soon on our book. ;)

The anti-Naxos lobby seems to forget that Peter's main goal is probably the ubiquitous erhardii, though. ;)
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Peter Oefinger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:57 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:The anti-Naxos lobby seems to forget that Peter's main goal is probably the ubiquitous erhardii, though.

I want to see erhardii from any central Cyclades Island - not particular on Naxos.
But I also want to see L. trilinieata citrovittata: Now, Tinos, Syros, Andros, Naxos and Ios remain.
Among these, Naxos is the one with Eryx and quatorlineata: Two species - shame on me - I haven't seen so far. :)
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:19 pm

Peter Oefinger wrote:
Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:The anti-Naxos lobby seems to forget that Peter's main goal is probably the ubiquitous erhardii, though.

I want to see erhardii from any central Cyclades Island - not particular on Naxos.
But I also want to see L. trilinieata citrovittata: Now, Tinos, Syros, Andros, Naxos and Ios remain.
Among these, Naxos is the one with Eryx and quatorlineata: Two species - shame on me - I haven't seen so far. :)

I understand - as not everyone here probably knows a surprising link was made between citrovittata and Lacerta pamphylica (Sagonas et al. 2014, that Peter brought back to (my) memory).

Well, for those snakes, Amorgos sure seems better.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:42 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:I understand - as not everyone here probably knows a surprising link was made between citrovittata and Lacerta pamphylica (Sagonas et al. 2014, that Peter brought back to (my) memory).

PDF-6595 in DB :)
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:43 pm

Jeroen Speybroeck wrote:Indeed. These are the Cyclades with ammodytes: Andros, Dilos, Epano, Ios, Iraklia, Koufinisi, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, Antiparos, Sikinos, Stroggylo, Syros, Tinos. If not, let me know asap, because the curtain will drop soon on our book. ;)

I guess you partly rely on Chondropoulos 1989 checklist, right? I was just wondering if V.ammodytes was recently reported on Paros? Any picture?
Guillaume Gomard

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:53 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote: I was just wondering if V.ammodytes was recently reported on Paros? Any picture?

recent?
this one is from July 1988, NW of Paros town in the hills
ammoMerid_Paros_jul88.jpg
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:03 pm

Cool picture, Mario! Your ammo-gallery should be huge ;) Although by recent I rather had in mind t>2000. It´s anyway interesting to see a picture of a viper from there. I think that for a herper, there are still a lot of opportunities to have some nice expeditions in all those small islands. Peter, Andre, we rely on you guys 8-)
Guillaume Gomard

Postby Mario Schweiger » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:19 pm

btw, does anybody know, from which (probably greek) publication these drawings are:
ammoDrawings.jpg
ammoDrawings.jpg (105.27 KiB) Viewed 8030 times

Found them in
case_3623_en.pdf
(82.18 KiB) Downloaded 1678 times
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula