Cres island 2016

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Cres island 2016

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:10 pm

Mario Schweiger wrote:For sure, it has nothing to do - like YOU call it - STUPID detail of file size reduction.

"Stupid" had nothing to do with this webpage and/or it's technicalities. Everyone of us reduces his/her photos
to less than 500 kB in order to post them here. Everyone of us does it him/herself, as best one knows. I do it manually, picture by picture, which takes quite a lot of time and effort. I dont know what the others do. But
most of the pictures posted here are sharp. However, let me repeat that "... it's not exceptional that some really brilliant photographers sometimes post pictures like that in this forum. It must be some trivial technicallity...
But which one?!" THEIR fuzzy pictures have nothing to do with any problem either you or Thomas had with YOUR cameras, on this particular fieldtrip of yours - it has to be something else, something more general. I have no idea what. Does anybody?

The following picture is reduced to 1203 X 900, and only 287 kB. It's fairly sharp, I would say.

Be_8151_DESKTOP_900.jpg

If you look at my "avatar" here, it's really small, 150 X 136, but still looks quite sharp...

The following one is 500 X 374 and, with the really puny 74.59 kB, still tolerably sharp:

Be_6113_500.jpg
Be_6113_500.jpg (74.59 KiB) Viewed 6003 times
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Peter Oefinger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:30 am

Great collection of snakes...I think the Austrian team is so familiar with that area that they know exactly which stone they have to turn to find a snake ;)

Mario Schweiger wrote:and especially for Peter

yes - quatuors are cool!
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:29 am

Peter Oefinger wrote:Great collection of snakes...I think the Austrian team is so familiar with that area that they know exactly which stone they have to turn to find a snake ;)

sorry, but I have been the 2nd time on Cres island (beside 2 or 3 camping holidays during my childhood). last time in 2008 for a half day (from Krk island), showing my Swiss friends the famous village Valun (from the television soap "Der Sonne entgegen").

and the others also only 2 or 3 times ?
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:35 am

some pics more.....................
07_emys2.jpg
Emys orbicularis from near Osor

07_emys1.jpg

beli.jpg
the town Beli in the north of the island

bilimann.jpg
Lacerta bilineata, male; Beli

natrix1.jpg
Natrix natrix near Merag (ferry boat to Krk island)
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Thomas Baer

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:09 pm

panorama pic (~ 270°) of the Merag pond.
Pelophylax ridibundus, Natrix natrix ("all" morphs: persa, natrix, helvetica and a uniform grey one - without markings), Elaphe quatuorlineata,...). with the herpers - from the left: Hannes Hill, Michael Duda, Thomas Bader (just missed the 4lineata)
merag-tumpel.jpg

open picture in new link to see it more large ;)
Mario (Admin)

Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:09 pm

The red-blue-green Podarcis is amazing. Btw how did you catch the Emys?
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Michal Szkudlarek wrote:The red-blue-green Podarcis is amazing.

But Michal, it's just a normal Podarcis melisellensis male... OK, a handsome one indeed, but still
quite a "normal" one.
And regarding the Emys orbicularis, Thomas has already confessed:
Thomas Bader wrote:And for this one I flooded my mobile phone and my GPS...

Thomas, Thomas, why you? Hannes should/could have done it without flooding anything...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Erich Köck » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:00 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Mario Schweiger wrote:For sure, it has nothing to do - like YOU call it - STUPID detail of file size reduction.

"Stupid" had nothing to do with this webpage and/or it's technicalities. Everyone of us reduces his/her photos
to less than 500 kB in order to post them here. Everyone of us does it him/herself, as best one knows. I do it manually, picture by picture, which takes quite a lot of time and effort. I dont know what the others do. But
most of the pictures posted here are sharp. However, let me repeat that "... it's not exceptional that some really brilliant photographers sometimes post pictures like that in this forum. It must be some trivial technicallity...
But which one?!" THEIR fuzzy pictures have nothing to do with any problem either you or Thomas had with YOUR cameras, on this particular fieldtrip of yours - it has to be something else, something more general. I have no idea what. Does anybody?

Though there are definitely better places in this forum to discuss technical matters I post my reply in this thread for obvious reasons.
I think Mario is right, jpeg compression usually does not impact image sharpness. In extreme cases it produces visible artifacts best seen in color gradients or high contrast areas. And the board limitation of image size (in terms of pixel dimensions) also adds to image sharpness, as downsampling almost always improves perceived sharpness. As far as one can tell without examining EXIF-Data of the images there seems to be a problem with the camera gear. The visible softness in these images is usually produced by bad (misaligned) lenses or too much noise reduction applied by the camera - or the raw converter. Supertelephoto-lenses like 18-300mm tend to be soft at their long end wide open, and give the exact look of the images seen here.
Erich Köck

Hometown: Eferding

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:25 pm

Lol. Great finds Mario!
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:41 pm

I think Mario is right, jpeg compression usually does not impact image sharpness.

But I've never mentioned any JPEG COMPRESSION (meaning transforming anything else to a jpeg file),
what I meant is the mere REDUCTION of a cca. 6 MB original JPEG file to a less than 500 kB JPEG file,
which can be done in many ways, some better than the others...

The visible softness in these images is usually produced by bad (misaligned) lenses or too much noise reduction
applied by the camera - or the raw converter. Supertelephoto-lenses like 18-300mm tend to be soft at their long
end wide open, and give the exact look of the images seen here.

Yes, BUT:
Mario had a problem of his own (with his HARDWARE, as he says) and Thomas (maybe) a quite different problem,
(with the SOFTWARE, as he says), yet the results seem to me to be the same...
And as I said, in this forum you may sometimes encounter a whole report by a good photographer that is "too soft"
(at least to my taste). Not just some of the pictures, under some special (unfavourable?) conditions, but dozens of
them, all of them. How should one explain that? Do some people just like it that way, or do they miss something,
or what?
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula