Herps in September

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Herps in September

Postby Lennart Schmid » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Hi guys,
im planning on visiting the Balkan peninsula in mid September this year.
Does anyone know how much luck i can have at that time of the year?
Im mainly planning on visiting Kroatia and maybe Greece but also Albania maybe. An does anyone live there and want to meet Up?
Greetings and thanks for your answers in advance,
Paul
Lennart Schmid

Hometown: Heidelberg

Re: Herps in September

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:15 pm

I think Croatia + Albania + Greece is too much: you must find time to look with some relax for animals and to find the right places... It's not something as a Paris-Dakar race! :D
September is good, sure, but I think the best season is spring! ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:13 pm

Ruggero Morimando wrote:I think Croatia + Albania + Greece is too much: you must find time to look with some relax
for animals and to find the right places... It's not something as a Paris-Dakar race! :D
September is good, sure, but I think the best season is spring! ;)

YES, YES, and YES. What I especially like is that "it's not something like a Paris-Dakar race!" Of course, not
everyone would agree, but I do, from all my heart. “Non in commotione, non in commotione Dominus.”
Maybe it's due to my having grown old, but I've never really liked the frenzy...
And, of course, it's for those who can AFFORD to be slow and studious... Not everyone can. Many technical
reasons of "real life" prevent that... I can understand it, but I don't like it, and never have.
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Lennart Schmid » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:46 pm

Okay thanks for your answer but I think k you maybe misunderstood me a bit. Im planning on Visitng Croatia and Greece with a stop in albania. Ive got pleite of time and herping is not the only reason for this trip (but the Main :D ). Im just curious of its even worth the effort, or if its just to Hard to find any herps in that time period. And of course id be happy to Meeting some of you guys while im down there :)
Lennart Schmid

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:02 pm

It certainly is worth the effort, with some luck with the weather and herps themselves. As Ruggero said,
spring would be the ideal time, but in early autumn you might also strike some luck, if you do. Just be
prepared to face some disappointments as well, if you don't.
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ilian Velikov » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:09 am

I have no experience in the countries mentioned but I've had some good results in September in Bulgaria, and I assume climate is not too different between these countries. I remember one year in particular in September after the extreme heat of the preceding months there was some rains, the weather cooled down (but was still warm) and the grass and other vegetation sprung back to life from dry yellow to lush green. This created pretty much spring-like conditions and the reptiles (aestivating until now) got pretty active. So, basically with exotherms I think it is much more down to weather conditions than season. You can find reptiles in December if the weather is suitable. So cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote: So, basically with exotherms I think it is much more down to weather conditions than season.
You can find reptiles in December if the weather is suitable. So cross your fingers and hope
for the best.

Quite so. Up to a point, however. In autumn one has to have much more luck than in spring,
even irrespective of the weather conditions. Only the BEST days in autumn can match those
in "normal", average spring ones. So, the AVERAGE probability is not the same, after all. And
it's, unfortunately, this average probability what you can reasonably count on... The rest is
luck, LOCAL luck (both in time and space), whether regarding the weather, or the species,
or quite a lot of some other, poorly known factors...
Also, at least regarding snakes, expect to find more juveniles than adults, in comparison with
springtime. Might be interesting, but also frustrating, depending on what you'd like to see...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Lennart Schmid » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Thanks for the information guys :). If I do happen to find something i will surely post the pictures.
Lennart Schmid

Postby Lennart Schmid » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Okay so the trip has been shortened now but we are going to visit most of croatias national parks. Well be in velebit but also mor in eastern regions. Does anyone live close by and wants to meet up? :)
Lennart Schmid

Postby Edvard Mizsei » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:05 am

Paul Aiscan wrote:Does anyone know how much luck i can have at that time of the year?

Check out this topic: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1722
Edvard Mizsei

Hometown: Szeged

Return to Balkan peninsula