Bufo viridis calling in September

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Bufo viridis calling in September

Postby Bernard Carrette » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:43 am

Just a single observation. Staying in the Peloponnese (Greece) and after really torrential rains, I visited the Gialova Lagoon a few days after the rainfall ( first week of september). Walking along shallow flooded lands in the middle of the day ( about 12h AM) I heard 2 Bufo viridis calling. The weatherr was clear, not hot, aout 24°C. I know that Hyla arborea can call quite late in the year, but this was quite interesting for me.
Bernard Carrette

Hometown: Tubize

Re: Bufo viridis calling in September

Postby Jeroen Speybroeck » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Bernard Carrette wrote:Just a single observation. Staying in the Peloponnese (Greece) and after really torrential rains, I visited the Gialova Lagoon a few days after the rainfall ( first week of september). Walking along shallow flooded lands in the middle of the day ( about 12h AM) I heard 2 Bufo viridis calling. The weatherr was clear, not hot, aout 24°C. I know that Hyla arborea can call quite late in the year, but this was quite interesting for me.

Thanks for that. I suppose many of the anurans with a louder voice (but also happens in Rana temporaria!) have this behaviour, which has been related to some sort of directions for dispersing juveniles, among other reasons/hypotheses.
Jeroen Speybroeck
Site Admin

Hometown: Merelbeke

Return to Balkan peninsula