Elaphe 4lineata vs. Pseudopus apodus

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Elaphe 4lineata vs. Pseudopus apodus

Postby Tomas Klacek » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:10 am

Agree with Ilian, 4lineatas "dead" eye is the least weird thing to me. Obviously dead Psudopus, neck angle, no singns of fight and muscle tension... I guess fight between these two would be a huge wrestle. We can't be sure, even I´m not, but lot of things looks strange to me. Even other photos from different angles (in company with other dead snakes) did not convince me...
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Niklas Ban » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:59 am

Berislav Horvatic wrote:
Niklas Ban wrote:(1) The best of the best fake images all the time.. especially wildlifephotographers, it is a fact.

(2) I don't think it is a fake, I saw many many (ex)elaphe eating their prey, they do it in every kind of way, no problem for them. Even if the eye is dead, it is no problem for a snake to live with just one or even no eyes. Saw it in the field by myself. The other images of him doesn't make me think that he faked it.

So, please, decide, if you can. Unless (1) was meant fully ironically, of course...

No, I was serious. Now after seeing other angles I must say something is weird. If it is fake or not I don't know but something is wrong with the quatorlineata.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:45 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:Looks real to me:

http://www.mediterraneannature.com/snakes-of-croatia/

Or the photographer would be very vicious!

Thanks for this Guillaume! Now I'm convinced that it is a fake 100%.

The first two photos of quatuorlineata, the live one, are of a different snake. Look at the small scale just behind the rostral.

3454.jpg

And the quatuorlineata with Pseudopus is definitely dead. It's quite clear on all photos but particularly on this one.

snakes-croatia-non-venomus-46-1024x768.jpg

However I think the Pseudopus was alive. It's easier to tell if a lizard is dead than if a snake is dead because lizards have eyelids (most of them anyway) and they usually close them more or less when they die. Looking in the eye of this Pseudopus it looks very much alive to me. Anyone that has ever caught a Pseudopus (or Anguis for that matter) would know that they fight for a short time after which they completely relax their muscles and stay motionless for a long time. I think this guy found a dead qutuorlineata and caught a live Pseudopus nearby and decided to get some attention by staging this. This makes him not just a fraud but also an asshole for molesting the lizard like this.
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote: Looking in the eye of this Pseudopus it looks very much alive to me.

In which of the presented photos did you see the EYE of P. apodus?!
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:16 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:In which of the presented photos did you see the EYE of P. apodus?!

First image in my latest post, the photo on the right hand side (click on photo to zoom in)
Ilian Velikov

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Now I really don't understand: Who is the author of this photo, Stevan Žugić from Montenegro
or Ante Karanušić from Croatia?
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ilian Velikov » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:33 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:Now I really don't understand: Who is the author of this photo, Stevan Žugić from Montenegro

Not sure...People are congratulating Stevan Žugić for the photo on Facebook.

So did you see the eye of Pseudopus? What do you think?
It looks like other people think the same as me. I just saw one of the comments on Facebook:

"Alex Moss - Elaphe dead, Pseudopus alive."
Ilian Velikov

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:47 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:
Berislav Horvatic wrote:Now I really don't understand: Who is the author of this photo, Stevan Žugić from Montenegro

Not sure...People are congratulating Stevan Žugić for the photo on Facebook.

Stevan Žugić: I have enough herp photographs made by me, don't need better ones.
These photos are not mine, I found it on internet.

BTW, Guillaume has found it already: http://www.mediterraneannature.com/snakes-of-croatia/
So, Ante is the original culprit? My compatriot, sorry to say...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:56 pm

Ilian Velikov wrote:I think this guy found a dead qutuorlineata and caught a live Pseudopus nearby and decided to get some attention by staging this. This makes him not just a fraud but also an asshole for molesting the lizard like this.

The more I see the pics, the more I think you guys are right :? . If this is the case I would be even more concerned about ego-driven-pseudo-wildlife photographers. Would be interesting to get at least the version of the author... What do you think about the blood on the Pseudopus head? Just coming from the dead 4lineata mouth?
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:18 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:The more I see the pics, the more I think you guys are right :? . If this is the case I would be even more concerned
about ego-driven-pseudo-wildlife photographers. Would be interesting to get at least the version of the author...
What do you think about the blood on the Pseudopus head? Just coming from the dead 4lineata mouth?

This Ante doesn't seem as an "ego-driven-pseudo-wildlife photographer" at all, on the contrary. If these photos are
really his, maybe he just wanted to stage a joke, or something... A BAD joke, OK, but nothing more than that...?
And then it spread like wildfire... and has given us all a headache.
Yes, it would be interesting to get at least the version of the author... whoever it is. Probably him, but he may
also borrow other people's photos for his webpage, who knows...
Regarding the blood (is it?) on the Pseudopus head, too little blood to kill a beast like this Pseudopus. No opinion.
Berislav Horvatic

PreviousNext

Return to Balkan peninsula