Elaphe 4lineata vs. Pseudopus apodus

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Elaphe 4lineata vs. Pseudopus apodus

Postby Mario Schweiger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:21 pm

Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Re: Elaphe 4lineata vs. Pseudopus apodus

Postby Tomas Klacek » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:36 pm

First look - wow, but after while, it looks like a fake to me... I guess both actors were already dead :?
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Postby Christoph Stenger » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:40 pm

That is exactly what I was thinking!
Cheers

Christoph
Christoph Stenger

Hometown: Hanau

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:52 pm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/szugic/page4

I think this guy wouldn't neeed it...
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:17 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:I think this guy wouldn't neeed it...

Just because he is a skilled photographer it doesn't mean he wouldn't cheat ;)

The photo does look a bit dodgy. There's a very weird twist in the snake's neck. I don't think it would be able or ever attempt to swallow anything like this (it's almost a knot). Also the snake's eye looks a bit dead to me...
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Niklas Ban » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Berislav Horvatic wrote:https://www.flickr.com/photos/szugic/page4

I think this guy wouldn't neeed it...

The best of the best fake images all the time.. especially wildlifephotographers, it is a fact.

Ilian Velikov wrote:The photo does look a bit dodgy. There's a very weird twist in the snake's neck. I don't think it would be able or ever attempt to swallow anything like this (it's almost a knot). Also the snake's eye looks a bit dead to me...

I don't think it is a fake, I saw many many (ex)elaphe eating their prey, they do it in every kind of way, no problem for them. Even if the eye is dead, it is no problem for a snake to live with just one or even no eyes. Saw it in the field by myself. The other images of him doesn't make me think that he faked it.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:04 pm

Niklas Ban wrote:(1) The best of the best fake images all the time.. especially wildlifephotographers, it is a fact.

(2) I don't think it is a fake, I saw many many (ex)elaphe eating their prey, they do it in every kind of way, no problem for them. Even if the eye is dead, it is no problem for a snake to live with just one or even no eyes. Saw it in the field by myself. The other images of him doesn't make me think that he faked it.

So, please, decide, if you can. Unless (1) was meant fully ironically, of course...
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Ilian Velikov » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:20 pm

This guy here (see link) even won Wildlife Photographer of the Year. Later it turned out the wolf was somebody's pet - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8470962.stm

Ironical or not people (and many other animals) cheat, photographers included.

Niklas Ban wrote:I don't think it is a fake, I saw many many (ex)elaphe eating their prey, they do it in every kind of way, no problem for them. Even if the eye is dead, it is no problem for a snake to live with just one or even no eyes. Saw it in the field by myself. The other images of him doesn't make me think that he faked it.

I didn't say this scenario is not possible. It is probably even common in areas where the two species co-exist. There's just something off about the photo. Something about the wide gape of the snake and how little of the lizard's head is in the mouth. And also the lizard looks dead, so if we assume the photo is real the snake killed it before attempting to eat it. The snake would only end up with this un-natural-looking bend in the neck if the two are struggling/fighting. Why would the snake take this odd position to swallow something that doesn't move?

And last but not least, I can't imagine a photographer chancing upon this scene and walking away with just a single photo...

Of course, I might be completely wrong about everything but I'm not convinced until I see it from another angle(s).
Ilian Velikov

Hometown: Pravets

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 am

Ilian Velikov wrote:And last but not least, I can't imagine a photographer chancing upon this scene and walking away with just a single photo...
Of course, I might be completely wrong about everything but I'm not convinced until I see it from another angle(s).

No, I'm afraid you're NOT wrong. (Where "I'm afraid" is just an English undestatement for "I strongly believe".)
Berislav Horvatic

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:35 am

Looks real to me:

http://www.mediterraneannature.com/snakes-of-croatia/

Or the photographer would be very vicious!
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Next

Return to Balkan peninsula