Just for fun

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Re: Just for fun

Postby Guillaume Gomard » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:55 am

Thanks for sharing these interesting details.
Berislav Horvatic wrote:Numerous huge heaps of loose stone, remaining from the clearing of soil for vineyards, now overgrown with bushes. What else would a viper wish for...

This reminds me of some of my best V.aspis spots in the vineyards of Burgundy, France:
Vahabitat.jpg

I might be wrong but I somehow get the impression that you already posted this "iznad vinograda" picture on this forum (did we already discuss this "uncommon" herping place?).

Drifting a bit of topic, I would be curious to know the max. number of V.ammodytes that you or someone else ever found in such a hibernaculum (in Crotia). Knowing that >1000 individuals were allegedly reported in Bulgaria.
Guillaume Gomard

Hometown: Strasbourg

Re: Just for fun

Postby Berislav Horvatic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:14 pm

Guillaume Gomard wrote:I might be wrong but I somehow get the impression that you already posted this "iznad vinograda" picture on this
forum (did we already discuss this "uncommon" herping place?).

Honestly, I don't remember. Maybe. In my posts I use what I think best illustrates the current topic, irrespective
of my past (mis)deeds.

Drifting a bit of topic, I would be curious to know the max. number of V.ammodytes that you or someone else ever
found in such a hibernaculum (in Crotia). Knowing that >1000 individuals were allegedly reported in Bulgaria
Really don't know. And fail to see the importance of numbers like that. My own puny maximum has been three or
four. R. F. claims 50 or more...
Of course I'd very much like seeing a 100 or a 1000, but just for the very sight of it, nothing "scientific" in that.
Not that I insist on everything being "scientific", but I just don't see the point. It's like finding a 10-meters-long
anaconda. Yes, it's possible, but what to do with that?

BTW, have you any reasonable idea just how one could reliably count 1000 vipers crowded in the same place?
Or 100? Or even anything more than a dozen? Catch them all and then count one by one?! But most of them
certainly wouldn't just wait there for being caught, would they... Mine haven't. So?
Berislav Horvatic

Hometown: Zagreb

Previous

Return to Balkan peninsula