Slovenia & Croatia, May 2023

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Postby Tomas Klacek » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:29 pm

I´m scrolling through old photos to survive winter days, so I made this quick report.

Our first vacation as a family of three. Mostly easy walks with a stroller. I was totally happy just for being in the field due to lack of time in past year. We missed a lot, but still saw some very cool species. Slovenia, we started with some waterfalls a beautiful rivers where we quickly found first herps, L. agilis, Z. vivipara, A. fragilis and some salamanders with one very cute freshly metamorphosed individual:

Around Soča river. P. muralis, tessies & crazy viridis males :)

Salamander heaven close to the lake Bohninj and curled coronella on the Bled shore

Mountain area, I was hoping for some adders, but with no luck. Luckily we shared sleeping spot with a beautiful Anguis male and some Bombinas, on the plateau dozens active alpestris.

Quick Proteus try ended infamously. Water in all caves I visited was very muddy due to lot of rain in last weeks. But I managed to join a group of Slovenian biology students and visit an artificial cave nearby for black Proteus. After couple minutes staring into the dark we spotted one individual. Very special moment for me to have an opportunity to see these mysterious creatures.

We missed Zagreb area because of another rain and continued to a Zadar area to meet Kevin Esser and his family. Thanks to their hospitality we can spend couple days together chilling and getting to know surroundings.
After arrival to Kevin´s place we couldn´t wait to put our babies to bed so we can set off for a first Telescopus attempt. After couple hours, lot of scorpions, one unlucky scorpion, sleeping Testudos and some Hemidactylus we finally found our goal in an old castle ruin, high up in the wall.

I couldn´t miss a famous lake nearby.

And finaly, our without a stroller attempt for ursinii. Unfortunately we weren´t able to find one, very strong wind up there. But we were successful at the foothills with other species. Noteworthy stunning viridis female, and a massive ammodaytes male.

Last couple days in Istria, no luck with snakes, two escaped carbonarius and a huge Elaphe. So just siculus & muralis & Algyroides.

Cheers,
t.
Tomas Klacek

Hometown: Jicin

Re: Slovenia & Croatia, May 2023

Postby Gerald Ochsenhofer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:00 pm

Nice pics, thanks for sharing! :)
...they make me looking forward to the next season :)
sporadic news -> http://thxalot.net/v2/
Gerald Ochsenhofer

Hometown: Vienna

Postby Pablo Deschepper » Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:35 am

Thanks for sharing! That's quite a nice list of species you got there given the fact that this was a family trip with a baby. I hope you will be able to make plenty more herptrips with your baby :)
Pablo Deschepper

Hometown: Erps

Postby Kevin Esser » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:58 pm

Very nice trip report and amazing pictures!

I can't wait to team up again to look for reptiles.
Kevin Esser

Hometown: Wiesbaden

Postby Francesco Tri » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:13 am

Beautiful photo!!
Francesco Tri

Hometown: BARI ITALY

Return to Balkan peninsula