Another Croatia RFI

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Another Croatia RFI

Postby Kristian Munkholm » Tue May 04, 2010 9:25 am

Hi all,

as my planned Algarve trip has sadly been cancelled I have opted instead for a fast weekend trip to Croatia. Airfare and car rental already booked I don't foresee anything getting in the way this time around.

However, as I have no previous experience from the country nor with any of my target species I would truly appreciate any and all help I can get - be it in regards to specific localities, general areas, times, habitats, travel tips, species, etc.

I will be landing in Zagreb on Friday May 21 at 12:25 and leaving from Zagreb on Monday May 24 at 12:55 so effectively I guess I'll have just some 2- 2½ days of intense herping time.

In terms of the Croatian herpetofauna I find the snakes to be the more interesting targets - particularly all the ones that would be lifers for me (anything but V. berus, N. natrix, D. caspius and H. viridiflavus). Species such as T. hermanni, P. apodus and to some extent L. viridis and L. trilineata are also somewhat high on the wishlist though. In general, however, I do not have any individual target species (well, maybe ammodytes ;) ) - rather I would just like to see as much diversity as possible in my very limited time in the country. I know I will have to prioritise, though.

I have been contemplating spending my time on Krk focused mainly on ammodytes and would of course appreciate tips related to this endeavour but as I have not yet decided input related to other areas is equally welcome. I don't really wish to drive much further away from Zagreb than Krk though, as I would much rather spend my short time in the field than on the road.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Should you be willing to offer sensitive information - such as disclosure of specific localities - this should of course be done by PM whereas information of a more general nature can fittingly be entered into this thread. :)
Kristian Munkholm

Hometown: Copenhagen

Return to Balkan peninsula