Croatia & BiH

Croatia, BiH, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania, Bulgaria, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, Greece including ALL islands

Croatia & BiH

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Hello All
Between 29th July and 14th August this year I spent one week in Croatia and next one in BiH. Firstly, 5 km toward Varaždin from border between Slovenia and Croatia I found some charming Bombina variegata variegata in road puddle.

Their habitat- about 280 m.a.s.l..

I was looking for Triturus dobrogicus near Varaždin but marshes were dry and I didn't manage to find any pond there- we had to go after one night spent there. :( Just heared several escaping lizards or snakes. During stop in way to south I found adult Rana temporaria in leafy forest.

In Biograd na Moru, where I had accomodation for one week several nice arthropods were seen at night on the walls.
Scutigera coleoptrata

Euscorpius sp.

Mantis religiosa

In olive grove close to seashore during sunset You were been able to photograph a lot of Podarcis sicula campestris from relatively short distance due to fact that lizards were catching last rays of sun.

Males

Specimen with regenerating tail.

Subadult

Juvenile

When You were approaching really slowly, You could take photo like this one below.

Cicada and Dysgonia algira from same habitat.

Xylocopa sp. found nearby

Directly on the shore Podarcis sicula campestris were also present.
Sunbathing male:

Same lizard

Running female

Male during sunbath in front of his hide above sea.

Beneath this lizad crabs were living.

At night in Biograd na Moru Erinaceus roumanicus was observed.

One day I managed to flip two young Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis in really narrow zone of wild terrain between road and olive grove.

Habitat

Mantis religiosa found by the way there.

At proper habitat Lacerta trilineata major was found relatively quickly. It was terrain covered with Quercus coccifera or others dwarf oaks and stones. There instead of herps during garbage flipping only one scolopendra that ran away immediately was found.

Habitat

Warning about mines.

Another Lacerta trilineata major I observed near Krka National Park, on the stone by Krka river. It was juvenile specimen and ran into its hide quickly.

Habitat

Podarcis sicula campestris found nearby, probably female.

During a walk on suburbs of Biograd na Moru I heared noises from bush next to cemetery. It was male of Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis, I took him out to take photographs.

Coming back to hide

Next week I was accommodated in Neum. It is the only one city that lays in BiH and has access to sea. Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis is very common there. While one walk on suburbs I heared three turtles. Here is one of them- male.

Eating a fig

Afterwards I went into scrubs where Ameles sp. and unknown Apterygota were photographed.

Near lights of my hotel entrance Hemidactylus turcicus was hunting at night.

In Mostar Dalmatolacerta oxycephala was seen mainly on old walls and roofs.
Adult

Juvenile

Lizard without pattern

Habitat

In Hutovo Blato nature reserve I met adult T. h. hercegovinensis, Natrix natrix persa, Rana dalmatina, Pelophylax ridibundus, Eupholidoptera chabrieri and probably also Natrix natrix natrix.
Pelophylax ridibundus, adults

And juvenile one

The other stuff was observed on land in darkness- apart Hermann's tortoise which I found in the evening. Grass snakes were escaping at once, so I have no photographs of them.

Rana dalmatina

Eupholidoptera chabrieri

Next Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis I observed in a little bit curious habitat- it Was quite steep hillside close to sea.
Male and Adriatic Sea in the background.

Habitat

Fortunately I managed to photograph Lacerta viridis. Lizard was noted on the bank of river in Kravica Waterfalls (near Ljubuški; BiH). It was subadult male from seperate clade which seems to be distinct or closer to bilineata.

Another target- Mauremys rivulata- was realized too. Balkan Terapin was coexisting with Pelophylax ridibundus and introduced Trachemys scripta elegans in rather shallow pond within herpetological protected habitat not far from Dubrovnik. This reserve was created to protect Mauremys rivulata of course.
Juvenile Pelophylax ridibundus

Adult one

Mauremys rivulata, adults

American alien- Trachemys scripta elegans.

Habitat

And finally legendary Proteus anguinus. Intending to photograph olm I visited Vjetrenica that is unknown for tourists in comparsion with Postojna cave. Arrival was full of road serpentines but of course it was worth because I was able to admire olm among its habitat! You could get there only with other tourists and a guide. A lot of puddles where olms would be able to live were dried there- I think that due to higher temperature that is caused by tourism. There was not more than ten of us, but probably due to me asking about Proteus anguinus and flashlighting in potential olm's habitats without results, in the end of track guide took olm from a recess, she well knew where it was. Unfortunately photographs are really failed, because I didn't want to disturb him with light from torch and due to owning not enough time. I managed also to take a short movie that is poor too. In front of the cave there was a group of researchers preparing for expedition. I had a short conversation with one of them- Roman Ozimec- about new species of troglobites he co-discovered- inter alia pseudoscorpions in this cave if I remember rightly.

Its habitat

Unsuccessful movie

In way back, in the midst of croatian lowlands I found Lacerta viridis viridis that escaped immediately and tadpoles of Hyla arborea in untypical habitat- shallow, temporary puddle next to filling station and from the other site relatively close to typical habitat for european tree frog. In my opinion, there were too many specimens, so some of them had to leave and breed in other place. I know it is quite silly explanation, but do You have any other ideas? I'm sorry for tadpole beeing on my finger, but my aquarium for photos was already packed deeply inside trunk.

Habitat

And for the end a pinch of photographs from various cities.
Šibenik- St. James Cathedral

Dubrovnik

Mostar

List of observed, identified species:
Bombina variegata variegata
Hyla arborea arborea
Rana dalmatina
Rana temporaria temporaria
Pelophylax ridibundus
Proteus anguinus anguinus
Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis
Mauremys rivulata rivulata
Lacerta trilineata major
Lacerta viridis
Podarcis sicula campestris
Dalmatolacerta oxycephala
Hemidactylus turcicus turcicus
Natrix natrix natrix
Natrix natrix persa

Greetings
Michał Szkudlarek
Michal Szkudlarek

Hometown: ...

Re: Croatia & BiH

Postby GertJan Verspui » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:39 pm

Nice photos Michal, it looks like you had a perfect time there!
Amphibian & Reptile Adventures http://www.gertjanverspui.com
Instagram: @gj.verspui_wildlife
Facebook: Gerrit Jan Verspui
GertJan Verspui

Hometown: Giessenburg

Postby Sandra Panienka » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:16 pm

That indeed looks like you had a great trip. Love the little turtles. :O) Thanks for posting.
Sandra Panienka

Hometown: Heidelberg

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 am

Nice report ! what is the so wonderful butterfly ?
Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:37 pm

Dysgonia algira
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Pierre-Yves Vaucher » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 am

Pierre-Yves Vaucher

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Thu May 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Is anyone going to visit Croatia in July this year? Would be nice to herp together.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:36 pm

In two weeks my family is driving to Lovran for two weeks accommodation. It will enjoy to herp with someone, let me know if want to join.
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:16 pm

Maybe will any herper be in next two weeks in neighbourhood of Venezia?
Michal Szkudlarek

Postby Michal Szkudlarek » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:51 pm

today i noticed that these importunate flies are Lucilia bufonivora looking for nostrils to lay eggs there
my video from Croatia: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Y9SNfou4U
Michal Szkudlarek

Return to Balkan peninsula