Malta trip 2012

Malta trip 2012

Postby Magnus Öhrn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Malta July 2012
This trip was not primary a herpetological field trip but a vacation with my family but I had planned to see at least some lizards. I was also aware of the fact that the season was not the best with temperatures in the shade reaching 40 degrees C.
We arrived on the 5th of July and on that evening I searched in the surroundings of the Hotel for geckos. Finally I saw just one single Hemidactylus turcicus and I think that the many cats nearby was one factor for my poor result.
The next day we went to Valletta for a classical tourist visit but I searched both the Lower Barakka Garden and nearby the Great Harbor for lizards and Algerian whip snakes. I found some Tarentola mauritanica, Podarcis filfolensis and Hemidactylus turcicus but no snake. I had not really expected a snake though because of the weather and time of the day. Back at the hotel I found a rather small Chalcides ocellatus nearby a stonewall.
My next herpetological finding was more Podarcis filfolensis but now on Comino on the 8th July and through the last part of the week I saw these beautiful animals daily.
The highlight of the trip came on the 10th July when I found a Chamaeleo chamaeleon walking on the ground in the Mediterraneo Park but I could not get a good picture because I only had my compact camera with me.
Some evenings I searched in the stone piles nearby the Hotel for Chalcides ocellatus but I did only find one specimen. For me the trip was quite good anyway, I found 5, species I had not seen before. I also got hungry for more trips in the search of reptiles and I have begun planning for a real field trip to Milos or Lesvos in the right season.
Attachments
publicering (4).JPG
Chamaeleo chamaeleon ,picture taken with a compact camera
publicering (3).JPG
Another Podarcis filfolensis
publicering (2).JPG
Tarentola mauritanica
Publicering.jpg
Podarcis filfolensis
Magnus Öhrn

Hometown: Sparreholm

Re: Malta trip 2012

Postby Tom Hoogesteger » Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:36 am

Welcome to the forum, Magnus, and congratulations on your findings. I like that chameleon pic.
Tom Hoogesteger

Hometown: Jarvenpaa

Re: Malta trip 2012

Postby Magnus Öhrn » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
The picture of the chamaeleon told me that I have to bring my usual camera with me- always!
Magnus Öhrn

Hometown: Sparreholm

Return to Italy and Malta