Easter Trip to Malta

Easter Trip to Malta

Postby Laura Bok » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:50 am

This year´s Easter Bobby and I spent on Malta. We stayed three days on the island, which we used to explore both touristy as well as less touristically developed places and to find as many of the occurring amphibian and reptile species as possible. While we found Painted Frogs, Mediterranean Chameleons, Moorish and Turkish Gecko, Maltese Wall Lizards, innumerous Ocellated Skinks and a single Western Whip Snake, we sadly did not succeed in finding our main target, Algerian Whip Snake. This left us puzzled, in particular as we searched intensively on four occasions on three days, with two to three persons, under different (all rather favorable) weather conditions and at different times of day. Until now, I do not have a good explanation for the absence of the snake - season and weather were ok, the habitat still looks good and we did find a lot of other reptiles as well as another snake species there. So maybe it was just bad luck? I am already curious when (or if?) a new record of the species will pop up.

As puzzling as it was however, it did not keep us from enjoying the island and its herpetofauna to its fullest! There were still enough Easter Eggs to find on Malta to make us both very happy... Here are some of my highlights of the trip; the full selection of photos can as always be found on my picasaweb: picasaweb.google.com\tiemann.laura

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

IMG_6230.JPG
Chalcides ocellatus

IMG_6360.JPG
Podarcis filfolensis

IMG_6223.JPG
Hierophis virdiflavus carbonarius

IMG_6366.JPG
English cemetery; habitat of Podarcis filfolensis, Tarentola mauritanica and Chalcides ocellatus

IMG_6436 Panorama.jpg
Spectacular view on Ghajn Tuffieha Bay

IMG_6508.JPG
Swimming on your own risk...

IMG_6526.JPG
In a muddy puddle not far from the lookout we found the first Painted Frogs (Discoglossus pictus) of the trip

IMG_6594.JPG
What would a trip to Malta (or a trip with Bobby the chameleon-addict) be without chameleons? This one was a nice grey individual.

IMG_6611.JPG
Chamaeleo chamaeleon

IMG_6621.JPG
Chamaeleo chamaeleon

IMG_6704.JPG
Another muddy puddle, another Discoglossus pictus - this one had a nice contrasty pattern.

IMG_6709.JPG
same

IMG_6727.JPG
Valletta at dusk
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Re: Easter Trip to Malta

Postby Andre Schmid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:04 am

Very nice photography, i like the city in the dusk, very nice - and for sure the reptile and amphibians :)
Andre Schmid

Hometown: Rottweil

Postby Peter Oefinger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:26 am

Great, Laura! The Chalcides looks pretty big, compared to the Malva flowers...
Peter Oefinger

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Jürgen Gebhart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 am

Nice shots, I like the beach pics, Malta Looks great!

the first chalcides pic Looks like a typical Bobby shot! ;)
Jürgen Gebhart

Hometown: Wiedergeltingen Bavaria

Postby Mario Schweiger » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:57 am

Yes, looks like a great trip, although no H. algirus ;)
The panorama looks great too, also the cemetary (would be a nice, warm place in my forthcoming days :lol: )
Mario (Admin)

Please visit also my personal Herp-site vipersgarden.at
Mario Schweiger
Site Admin

Hometown: Obertrum

Postby Matthijs Hollanders » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Nice pics Laura! Looks like a nice trip. I´d say just bad luck with the snake... or have they not been seen in recent years?
Matthijs Hollanders

Hometown: Wageningen

Postby Laura Bok » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 pm

Thanks for the kind comments everybody!

Peter: We did indeed find some huge Chalcides, the one on the picture is not even the biggest individual...so be prepared ;)!

Matthijs: As far as I know, there have not been any records after 2007 (please correct me if I am wrong!), when 3 individuals were found by Peter, Jeroen et al. (http://www.hylawerkgroep.be/jeroen/index.php?id=38). After that, some forum members have been on the island but have not been successful. There is also an interesting German paper in the database (http://vipersgarden.at/PDF_files/PDF-3007.pdf); in 2003 the authors searched at different potential habitats without success, concluding that Hemorrhois algirus might possibly be extinct on Malta. However, they did not exclude the possibility that the snake may still occur in places which are difficult to access. The fact that 3 individuals were found four years AFTER the publication of the paper supports the latter, suggesting that they might just be very shy / very rare /very hard to find.
Laura Bok

Hometown: Munich

Postby Niklas Ban » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:51 pm

Very cool! It seems that Malta is a nicer island for herping than I thought. The jellyfish is very interesting.
Niklas Ban

Hometown: Duesseldorf

Postby Bobby Bok » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:12 pm

And for those who can't get enough of Maltese chameleons there's always my report ;)

-> http://www.herpsafari.nl/tripreports-eu/2014-4-malta/

Bobby Bok

Hometown: Heemskerk

Postby Matt Wilson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:43 pm

Great photos! It seems a H.algirus was photographed in 2009--------------->http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/view/20091203/local/snake.284432

Matt
Matt Wilson

Hometown: Manchester

Next

Return to Italy and Malta