On my way home...

On my way home...

Postby Massimo Trentin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:59 pm

Gettin back home I just met this lady N.natrix crossing the street few steps before my house.
Just in time to see her,stop the car and take some pics before release her again...
Of course she was so kind to let her " D&G" essence on my hands as I took her and started to hiss like a pressure cooker :D .
Quite a nice size compared to most these specimens I usually find.
P.S. yesterday,in the same place a H.viridiflavus crossed the street,but I had no time to do nothing...too fast ;) .
Attachments
WP_20150701_13_08_43_Raw.jpg
WP_20150701_13_08_32_Raw.jpg
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Re: On my way home...

Postby Ruggero M. » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Well done, Massimo!

I remember you commonly see viridiflavus around your house, and you have also seen nearby a couple of longissimus mating or fighting, if I remember well... :P

I have the clear impression, but it's more than an impression, that your places are much more well preserved than mine. A similar situation was the one I remember near my home, in Oltrepo' Pavese, but during the '70-'80s: now, on the main roads, you find absolutely nothing at all of reptile life, neither living nor dead! :cry:
This is due to many negative factors: intense road traffic, wildboars more common than years ago, mass tourism, pollution, and so on.
Probably, in your region, all these factors are less pronounced and, besides this, you have probably much more and bigger untouched woody areas around your home.

I warmly suggest to you to make some night road herping tours during these warm days: you will be certainly not disappointed, and, if you see a "Will o' the Wisp", you have my phone number... ;)
Ruggero M.

Hometown: Pavia

Re: On my way home...

Postby Massimo Trentin » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:31 pm

You're right Ruggero,my surroundings are still quite preserved:wineyard,bush,woods are quite abundant and there are few buildings.
There is a single (little) road you see in the pic that lead to my house,so...scarse car traffic.
The situation could even be better for snakes, but in the last decade or so the number of natural predators (like B.buteo
and crows ) is increased a lot,and, maybe for other reasons you explained before (pesticides and other stuff like that),you'd expect to find even more snakes.
V.aspis,once quite common,has become rare (I haven't seen one dead or alive for +20 yrs).
Only Z.longissimus,H.viridiflavus and N.natrix seem to be quite "findable".
At the moment I've never seen a snake in night time...only phibs :D .
Massimo Trentin

Hometown: Torrebelvicino

Return to Italy and Malta